Chapter 26 - Something Brewing

"Vulnerability is a liability. No place for it in this life." - Gemma Teller Morrow

For Chibs, the visit to Trevor's loft was stressful but pertinent. However for Tig it was exciting and a sure fire way to really have a crack at him. They arrived and took the stairs, to avoid being seen, up to the fifth floor. It was nice, clearly he made money, but it certainly wasn't anything to brag over.

"What the fuck do you want?" Trevor growled as his eyes met with chibs' in his doorway.

Chibs smirked darkly and stepped forward. "What did you have to talk to Hazel about?"

"That's between me and Hazel," he shrugged wearing a satisfied smile on his face. "Which one of em' gave you my address?"

"We didn't need the girls to get your address," Tig laughed. "We've been handling shit ourselves before those two started shaking their asses around."

"I don't shit where I eat, or sleep," Trevor said nonchalantly. "Get out of my building, assholes."

Chibs shook his head, "If something happens to her and you didn't say anything, you'll feel everything she does. I promise."

"What?" Trevor's eyebrows furrowed as he stared at them expectantly, waiting for an explanation. "What happened to Hazel?"

"That's what we're trying to find out," Chibs growled. "What do you know?"

"I know you pissed off important people," Trevor said harshly. "That girl that died at the bar was Veronica Pope."

Tig groaned and turned away, his head back staring at the ceiling, this was much worse than any of them feared. "What did you hear?"

"Pope is pissed and he wants you to know it," Trevor said ominously. "He knows everything that happened. The cokehead, Anna, he wants her but if he doesn't get her I don't think he's averse to coming after you."

"I think he already has," Chibs sighed. "No ones seen Hazel in days."

Trevor closed his eyes and nodded slowly. "I'll ask around and see what I can find out." Pinching the bridge of his nose in an attempt to release some of the building tension in his head, Trevor actually felt less animosity toward them. They cared enough to swallow their pride and ask him for help; maybe that meant they actually cared. "We don't know he's got her but," Trevor shrugged, "I'd say he probably does."

Chibs agreed but didn't say as much. "We'll find the girl," Chibs said. "Anna the coke head," he groaned.

"Doesn't give you a lot to go on," Trevor said warningly. "Move fast, Pope is a sick bitch."

Her disappearance was enough to strike fear into him but the idea of Hazel being hurt, something that he hadn't entertained until then, made him physically ill.

"Aye, we've already got your number, we'll be in touch."

--

"I really don't know where she is," Hazel stammered. "She floats around San Joaquin, in and out of the city. The last I heard she was squatting outside of Oakland."

"Squatting outside of Oakland," Damon repeated. "You don't know her last name, but you let a well known junkie have motive and opportunity. You're not much beyond looks, are you?"

"I'm sorry about your daughter," she sniffled. "I am. It was a stupid mistake."

"What was?" He dropped down in front of her, crouching inches from her face, and stared right through Hazel. "Trusting her or your boyfriend getting my daughter killed? In my opinion," he stood straight again and moved around the room speaking with flair and subdued hand gestures. "Trusting her was the mistake and Chibs' move was selfish and stupid."

"He di-"

"He didn't care," Damon pronounced every syllable slowly. "We should all care for our fellow humans, especially the innocent ones."

"I'm sorry," Hazel began to cry. "Please, I'm sorry. She used me, she made me feel guilty, I never wanted anyone to get hurt."

"Guilty?" He asked with an excited tilt in his voice. "For what?"

"My mom used," Hazel couldn't keep herself from talking. She'd give him whatever pointless sob story he asked for if it helped. "I wanted to save her. Chibs just wanted to save me. We're sorry."

"You should have worried about saving somebody else."

--

Was able to finish this shortie before the baby woke up! Next one will be longer! Vote and comment please!