Chapter 22 - Working It Out

"I loved her not for the way she danced with my angels but for the way the sound of her name silenced my demons." - Christopher Poindexter

"What the fuck was that about?" Violet poked her head out from the kitchen when Hazel came in from the hall with a dreamy smile on her face. "He just like, left. Did Chibs say anything?"

"He told me he loves me," she sighed dramatically. "I can't friggin' believe it."

"He what?" Violet's jaw fell open and, as happy as she was for her sister, she couldn't help but feel a pang of jealousy. She liked Tig but his behavior was far from giving her butterflies.

Hazel nodded and, clicking the lock, rejoined her sister in the kitchen. "I told him I love him and he said it back. I kind of can't believe it, Vi."

"It hasn't even been that long," Violet tried to keep her jealousy under Hazel's radar. The words were sharp but Violet's expression was soft as she looked at her sister. "I sound like you now, I know, but I just don't want him to fuck you over. I kind of figured this was like, a rebound thing, like an excuse to leave Nate."

"I kind of thought so at first too," Hazel shrugged. "Sex is amazing and his accent is super fucking sexy but I didn't think it would ever go this far."

"So, you love him then?"

"I think," she suddenly questioned her own feelings. "I mean yeah, but it's different than it was with Nate. Is that normal?"

"You're asking me?" Violet laughed. "I don't know, Hazel."

"They're different men," Hazel mused. "Different relationships. The love is different."

"Makes sense," she shrugged. "The dangerous shit you've been around, all the violence, does he make you feel safe? Would you do that shit with Nate or for him?"

Hazel smiled and shook her head. "I've never felt safer in my life than when I'm with him."

"God you're such a fucking sap," Violet groaned. "I always feel a weird kind of sadness with Tig, but calm, like my mind is running, but then also like I'm vulnerable."

"That doesn't sound pleasant," Hazel said sympathetically.

"It's not, but it is, if that makes sense," she shrugged. "Besides, I've only ever been with Trevor after everything and I'm not trying to explain all that shit to him. Guess he did me a favor storming out."

"One night out and our lives are completely flipped," Hazel said in awe.

"Yeah, you got a new boyfriend and I got shot," Violet sulked. "I'm sorry," she sighed seeing Hazel's face turn down. "Go see him, I 'm going to call Trevor."

"No," Hazel laughed a bit. "It's fine. Sister night, right?"

"I'm not in the mood." Violet snapped. "Let me sulk, Hazel, please."

"Okay," Hazel grabbed her purse. "If you need anythi-"

"If I need anything Trevor will be here," she said coolly.

Surprisingly hurt and disappointed, Hazel nodded as she grabbed her purse, ignoring the fact she had little makeup and wasn't wearing the most flattering outfit, and headed out to find Chibs. Violet, on the other hand, did not do as she said she was going to and instead of calling Trevor she dolled herself up and headed toward the clubhouse.

--

"You should set Juicy Boy up," Chibs joked as he rested his hand on Hazel's waist. They stood against the bar casually chatting with Juice and Bobby while Tig entertained an eager crow eater by the pool table.