Chapter 24 - Deju Vu

"Maybe there's something you're afraid to say, or someone you're afraid to love, or somewhere you're afraid to go. It's gonna hurt. It's gonna hurt because it matters." - John Green

Once again, for the third time, Hazel was giving the police her statement with lingering Sons nearby watching closely albeit for different reasons. Hazel stammered and fumbled as she told her story while just a few feet away the coroner zipped Job's corpse in a body bag.

"She just wanted money to score, she's been using for years." Hazel spoke as if she was trying to make excuses for Anna, just like she did for her mother for years.

The officer, one neither she nor Chibs knew, took her account and asked a few questions as he was wrapping up. "Do you know the victim?" He asked nonchalantly as the stretchers carrying both bodies rolled by them. "Any reason they may have wanted to kill her."

"No," Hazel shook her head. "She looked familiar, I've seen her around, but I don't think they knew her. Anna just wanted Chibs', Filip's, money, they didn't want to hurt anyone. They wanted drugs."

"That's what it sounds like," he said as he scribbled in his notepad a second longer before flipping it shut.

Before he could speak again, Chibs appeared behind Hazel with a possessive and protective arm around her waist. "Come love, let's get you into bed." It was much less sexy than the last time those words were spoken between them.

"Go ahead, if we have any more questions you'll be hearing from us."

Hazel nodded before finally leaving the club with Chibs, her legs still weak and trembling as they approached her car. "I'm such a fucking idiot," she scolded herself. "I should have known; I should have seen that shit coming."

The lead detective, whom Chibs did know, nodded at him as Chibs opened the passenger door for Hazel. "Telford," he nodded for him to come closer. "This on the up and up?"

"Aye," he assured him. "We're not in Charming," Chibs winked. The detective knew the club and he knew they wouldn't do anything so boldly especially outside of their element.

"You boys stay safe," he called out after Chibs as he got into the driver's seat. The coroner slipped his phone into his pocket, passing Hazel's car on his way to the detective. "You get an ID?" The detective asked as the coroner came closer.

He nodded somberly, "Veronica Pope."

--

When Hazel dragged her feet into her apartment to grab a fresh set of clothing that did not have Job's blood on them she found Tig, completely naked, in her kitchen. "Jesus Christ," she shouted. "I've enough horror tonight I don't need to see this shit."

"Sorry," he chuckled, cupping his crotch and scurrying back into the bedroom.

"Hazel, I'm so sorry," Violet pulled Tig's shirt on and greeted her sister.

"It's fine," she said dismissively. "Job is dead."

"That cokehead?" Violet asked, far from surprised, as she grabbed herself a soda from the fridge. "OD?"

Hazel nodded and moved down the hall to her bedroom. "Chibs shot him," Hazel said in a daze. "Anna tried to rob us, she pulled a gun on him, it was an accident," her voice wavered as she pulled her shirt off.

"Holy shit, Hazel, are you okay?"

"I'm kind of just, in shock I guess." She got changed and grabbed a few clean pieces of clothing. "She tried to shoot me, killed some other girl instead."

"Thank fuck Chibs was there," Violet said, unsure of what else to really do in the moment.

"Yeah," she nodded. "I'm out."

"You're staying at his place?" She asked, following her older sister out into the living room where they found Tig and Chibs talking intensely in hushed tones.

"Aye," Chibs answered Violet's question as Hazel slipped under his arm. "Ready, poppet?"

"I am," she nodded with a sad kind of smile.

"I'd give Clay a heads up," Tig said as he and Chibs shook hands.

"Already did," Chibs chuckled.

"Be safe," Violet called out after them.

With a sly grin, Chibs turned and winked at Violet and Tig. "Aye, you too."

--

"What did Chibs tell you?" Violet asked as she plopped back into bed beside Tig with an orange creamsicle in hand.

Tig leaned up and took a big bite, much to her dismay, and recounted Chibs' story. Her expressions, surprise and horror, switched off as he gave her everything he knew and Tig felt himself growing smitten by her. He had decided to leave until Chibs arrived and destroyed his exit but, he was far from annoyed by it.

"Crazy shit, you and your sister are shit magnets." Tig joked, shuffling around and finding a comfortable spot in bed.

"Guess so since I attracted you, you asshole." Licking the Popsicle stick clean she wrapped it in a tissue and left it on the nightstand.

"I gave you that one," he gripped her arms and pulled her on top of him. "I'm ready."

"I'm sleepy," she complained. "We went twice already. I need a nap."

Tig nodded and held out his arm for her to snuggle up beside him. "Sleep, baby," he cooed sweetly as she laid her head on his chest.

"You sure you want to sleep like this?" She looked up at him as her fingers dawdled along his ribs playfully tugging his chest hair. "Makes for an awful difficult get away."

"I'm staying, I want one more good round before I skip out."

Violet pursed her lips, unsure if he was kidding or not, and nodded before closing her eyes. His rough touch, fingers combing through her black hair, helped soothe her quickly to sleep.