Chapter 21 - Family Dinner

"Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity." - Robert A Heinlein

Not too much later the four of them sat at the tiny table and Hazel served dinner. She poured wine for herself, water for Violet, while the boys were handed freshly opened beers.

"Is there any meat in this at all?" Violet asked as she stabbed a piece of broccoli.

Hazel rolled her eyes. "There's chicken in there dumbass. It's a stir fry so there's lots of veggies. I doubt any of you get em' anyway so eat up."

"Yes Mother," Tig laughed as he shoveled food into his mouth.

"You better watch out Chibs," Violet joked, "Hazel is gonna put you on a vitamin and feed you tofu and healthy shit."

"Tofu is nasty," Hazel said quickly. "And I've already been crushing the vitamins up and sneaking them into him food."

"She should," Tig added feigning seriousness. "At his age if she wants him around for a while, or even just to be able to get it up, she better do shit like that."

"Oh god," Violet covered her face. "I did not mean that."

"He's got no issues in that department," Hazel said with a flirty smile.

"Aye," Chibs took her hand and kissed her knuckles sweetly. "That's my girl."

"Ah shit," Tig chuckled. "Why do I feel like I'm meeting Vi's parents for the first time?"

"Our parents are dead," Hazel snapped but quick oh softened with a forced smile. "And me and Chibs are nothing like them. Trust me."

"So has stuff all settled?" Violet asked to move things along and keep from dwelling on the topic. "The whole Hazel has to stay with Chibs crap?"

"Oh like the whole Tig has to stay here?" Hazel eyed her sister. "Look at you acting like I'm the only one."

While the girls joked, albeit with some truth hidden deeper, and one upped each other Tig and Chibs spoke in hushed tones. They agreed to the terms so, yes the girls were safe, but they both felt inexplicably hesitant.

"Just a night or two more," Chibs explained as he moved some of the rice around his plate.

"Hey Vi," Tig playfully kicked her under the table. "The club needs a little favor," he said with a little grin, "And I was wondering if you could help?"

It was bold but Chibs knew if Violet refused, which she was expected to do, Hazel would probably do what she could to convince Violet or help the club out herself.

"A club favor?" Immediately she was hesitant, knowing more about the what it would entail than others, but she listened. "What exactly is the favor?"

"We just need you to butter Nero up," Tig said as Chibs and Hazel shared a look. "We'll handle the business end, but he won't even discuss it at this point. We need you for that."

She was visibly uncomfortable having been asked in front of Chibs and Hazel and everyone could see that. She felt monumentally guilty having inadvertently put Violet in the position and did her best to help her out of it.

"Nero won't listen to his girls about anything like that," Hazel scoffed. "I think if Violet even approached him he'd be even more against it than if one of you did."

"Exactly," Violet turned back to her dinner. "Sorry, I don't really want to get involved either." Looking at Tig, doe eyed and apologetic, she silently pleaded for his forgiveness and approval. "Are you mad?" She asked in a tiny whisper.

"Nah," he gave her hand a squeeze. "It's all good baby doll, besides you don't wanna do him any favors so you can get out of there guilt free."

Hazel froze, looking at Tig taken aback, and waited for Violet to reply. There was a few seconds of awkward silence before she swallowed and opened her mouth to speak. "I'm actually going back to work next week," she refused to look at him.

"What the fuck is with him?" Hazel asked Chibs, whispering into his ear without really trying to hide it. "Thought he was all about fun?"

Looking at Tig for a moment Chibs furrowed his eyebrows and shrugged. "He's a jealous prick," he uttered quietly. "Wants the games, nothing more, but with no one else playing."

"Told you he's a weirdo," she sighed. "I'll talk to Nero, feel him out, and you guys can go from there."

"You're a good girl," Chibs chuckled. "Thank you." He kissed her, sucking her bottom lip for a moment before they separated. "Why don't you come back to my place tonight?"

"Can you stay here?" Violet asked Hazel timidly. "Please?"

It hurt Vi to see her sister hesitate but after a moment of contemplation she nodded. "Of course. We can watch Dirty Dancing or something, okay?"

Violet smiled and nodded, taking her plate to the kitchen and leaving Tig, Chibs and Hazel alone. "What the hell did I do?"

"You're an idiot," Chibs rolled his eyes. "Thank you for dinner, Hazel."

"Sure, you're welcome." Hazel grabbed his plate, then Tig's and took them out to the kitchen. "You okay?"

"He's intense," she explained. "Gave me this predatory possessive look, like Dad used to."

"You gonna call Trevor?" Hazel asked, drying each dish as Violet washed and handed them over.

"I want to," she admitted quietly. "But Dad's dead and Tig isn't Dad, I just have to remind myself of that."

"You call Trevor and he'll be back on you, it won't be a one night thing, you know that."

"He hasn't stopped being on me," she admitted. "One of the girls from work said he's been by; I saw him the other day outside too."

Hazel sighed and nodded, drying her hands before heading back to the dining room where she could see Chibs and Tig were discussing something rather serious. The tension was thick, almost palpable, as she greeted them.

"No dessert tonight, boys. Sorry."

"Thanks for dinner," Tig shot up and headed toward the door.

"Sorry," Chibs rolled his eyes. "Shit with the club." He lied, giving her a knowing look.

"I'm sure," Hazel pursed her lips. "We'll talk in the morning?"

"Aye," he stood and kissed her again. "If you need anything, let me know."

"I will," she held his hand as he followed Tig's path to the door. "Filip," she whispered as they stood in the doorway. "Be careful, you know, in general."

He smiled a bit and kissed her forehead protectively. "Aye, I always am, love."

As he stepped into the hall she reached out and grabbed his hand. "I love you," she blabbered out anxiously. "And I'll go to Nero for you, I'll go to bat for you but I need to know you have my back."

"I have every part of you," he growled into her ear. Pressing his palm to her cheek he kissed her. "Go with Violet."

Hazel didn't ask if he loved her, she knew if he did he would have said it, so she simply nodded and watched quietly as he moved down the hall. "Oh and Hazel," he called from the end of the hall as he pressed the elevator button. "I love you too, poppet."