CHAPTER 22

I run.
I run as fast as I could. The letter and the necklace in my hands.

I don't think I know where he is.
I'm more than sure I know.

I run until I spotted him. He was there, sitting down, his back resting on the tree and his face buried in his hands. I could hear nothing but him crying silently as I walked slowly towards him.

This was supposed to be the place we meet for the first time and here we are now, in the positions we should have been when I first came here. Him waiting for me next to this tree and me walking towards him not knowing who he is.

I've imagined uncountable times how everything would be if this had happened. We could be something now.

But we are not.

I am with Grayson, his brother and he is with Mary, my best friend.

I stood in front of him. "Ethan.." I muttered panting and he looked up at me. Soon enough his eyes land on the letter. He wiped his tears and sniffed as he stood up.

"W-Where did you find this? D-Did you read it?" He stuttered. I can see hope in his eyes, hope that I read what he can't tell me. But also fear, fear of what's going to happen next.

"It doesn't matter Ethan. I found it and yeah...I read it." I said in a low voice walking closer.

He looked down to avoid making eye contact as always."So now you know.." He muttered.

"Ethan look me in the eyes." I demanded. He hesitated so I lifted up his chin with my fingers slowly. He looked deep into my eyes.

He was right.

Now I get it, why he never looked me in the eyes. I could see the lust and admiration in his beautiful hazel ones. No one has ever looked at me in that way.

He didn't break the eye contact, not even for a second. It's like we are saying everything we feel about each other just by looking in each other's eyes. A pointless yet meaningful conversation.

Ethan's POV

I slowly cupped her face with my hand and rubbed her soft skin gently. It feels so good to finally touch her and once I did, I knew what we have, something i've never felt before.

We have passion. I felt it when we kissed. I feel it when we touch. I feel it when I look at her.

My eyes left hers just to stare at her lips for awhile until I slowly started to lean in and she did the same. She suddenly stopped but didn't move away from me, our faces still inches away.

"Ethan..this is wrong-" I cut her off.

"But it feels so right." I lean closer, ready to get a taste of my sweet death once again, but she steps back.

"Friends.." She said. "Friends before guys...that's what I believe. I can't be with you Ethan" she looked me in the eyes with her teary ones. "I can't be with you knowing my best friend is your girlfriend."

"I want you Sam. I like you, not her."

"But she does! She likes you Ethan and I can't do this to my best friend, dont you get it!?"

I let out a big sigh. I know she's right. "So what do you suggest?"

"We are going to start over, besides if we had met that day right here who knows, we might wouldn't be together now, right?" She said with a shaky voice hoping I'll say yes.

"Right...so what you're saying is we should remain...friends? You and me? Friends?"

"Just friends. I can totally see you as a friend." I giggled at what she said. I can sense how big of a liar she's being right now.

"Then kiss me, for the last time, kiss me. I want a goodbye kiss from the girl I like."

"You know I'm incapable of doing that..Besides I've already kissed you goodbye, remember?"

"How can I not? You made me go crazy with that kiss. You left me craving for more. You-"

"Ethan please, don't make this any harder." She opened my palm and placed the necklace on my hand. She then closed it and looked up in my eyes, tears rolling down her cheeks. "This is hard for me too.." She added handing me the letter.

"No..these belong to you Sam."

"These belong in the past. We agreed on starting over as friends, at least for now. You can give this music note necklace to Mary. She loves music too. She plays the violin, did you know?" She asked and I shook my head no. "See? I have more common things with her than you thought. You will learn to like her...I don't want you to break her heart Ethan. She's like the sister I never had and I want to see her happy, understood?"

"Yeah." I muttered nodding my head. "We start over as friends...for now 'cause I won't give up on you, I won't give up on us. She'll never replace you Sam. I-"

"You make this so fucking hard!" She cried out. "Just..just forget it....goodbye Ethan." She said walking away.

I looked at her leaving.

You and me baby can never be just friends.

Sam's POV

On my way back home my phone starts buzzing. I pulled it out of my pocket and saw I have new messages from Ethan, also known as fuckboy, also known as Leslie.

Ethan: want a new beggining?

Ethan: wanna start over huh?

Ethan: fine! i dont know about you Sam but I believe the moments you and me had through messages are unforgettable. You can pretend the kiss never happened but what we had before that is the beginning of everything. It's untouchable.

Ethan: So let's just take it from the day we were supposed to meet for the first time.

Ethan: when I saw you today, I swear you took my breath away..meeting you in person was a whole other experience.

------------------------------------------------------------

Just friends? Nah don't worry, it never really works.

Also, Sam and Ethan are not the only ones who share a secret.