Chapter 4

Chapter 4

"I'm going to tell you something sweetie and you have to promise to have an open mind and you can't freak out ok?" my dad said in a very calming voice which put me on edge. What could possibly be so important that he had to tell me right now and what could he possibly be hiding that I didn't know already.

"Dad your freaking me out." I said as I braced myself for whatever he was about to say.

"Sweetie your brother and I are werewolves... Your mother is also one and she met her true mate and that's why she left..." He said and it was as if a bomb exploded and I couldn't hear anything but a high pitched noise squealing in my ears. I heard nothing, I felt nothing, I was nothing...

I was numb and speechless, I almost wanted to laugh but I couldn't because the look on his face and the tone of his voice told me he wasn't lying that he had finally told me the truth. The things that never made sense made sense for the first time ever, moving to this town made sense, my mother leaving without a second thought made sense. Then again what was a mate? A true mate? I didn't understand that I didn't understand anything.

"I don't understand!?" I finally cried out falling to my knees. My head was spinning my emotions were all over the place and I felt like I couldn't breathe.

"I'll explain everything sweetie I just need you to calm down ok? Please." He said and he kept glancing at the front door as if he was expecting someone to come running in any second.

"I-I-I don't understand, I just don't understand..." I kept whispering and I felt him wrap me in his arms and I froze almost afraid of what he could do.

"Sweetie we would never hurt you, never. You will always be safe and protected." He whispered and I finally felt my breaths start to even out and I was started to get feeling back in my limbs.

"I need answers." I whispered.

"Ask whatever you want and then I'll explain the important stuff." He replied nodding slowly, he didn't make any sudden movements as if he was afraid I would run away.

"Do you kill people?" I asked nervously.

"No, it's not like the movies we aren't half man half wolf we are really more like shape shifters we turn into wolves, real wolves. The only time we have to kill is when other wolves attack us, we call them rouges."

"Are you born this way?"

"Yes, you are either born with the gene or you aren't. The gene activates at 11 for boys and 14 for girls."

"Why didn't you tell me, we're family..."

" I waited to tell Tyler when I sensed he was going to shift, I didn't want to expose you to a world you might not ever need to know about. You never shifted so I just decided it was better you didn't know. Then your mother met her true mate, her soul mate each wolf gets one. She said she needed to be with him and I let her go knowing I couldn't make her happy anymore. When I got the chance to come home and join my pack again and be with my family I took it. I knew I might have to explain this since you would start noticing things weren't right but I thought I'd have more time. I'm so sorry for not telling you."

"I don't understand what you mean by mate." I said looking at the ground feeling so overwhellmed.

"Every wolf gets a soul mate, it is your other half. You will never feel completely whole without them, you know when you meet them because when your eyes meet the world seems to stop and your soul purpose is to love them and make them happy. When you touch you feel sparks and tingles and then usually they mate. First the male bites the female on the neck to leave his mark and then well you.... Have sex to seal the bond. The bond bonds you to them for life. If your mate dies usually you die to from the pain, living without your other half is just too painful."

"So you have a mate out there somewhere? And Tyler?" I asked.

"Yes somewhere, I never met my mate and neither did your mother that's why we decided to get married."

"Do I have a mate?" I asked almost hopeful that there could be someone out there who would love me completely and wholely for my entire life.

"No." he replied but he sounded almost hesitant like he was nervous...

"How come I'm not a werewolf?" I asked, if my entire family was one then why wasn't I one?

"Your gene never activated, 99% of the time a child born from two werewolves becomes a wolf but sometimes the gene never activates and the child never shifts."

"So this town has a pack of werewolves?" I asked looking between both my dad and my brother.

"This town is only werewolves, they built this town to protect our secret. There are lots of other packs all around the world but this is our pack the Moon Crescent pack. I will explain another day how to the pack works and the rules since you are going to be living amongst them. Your rules will be slightly different from the rest of the pack because you are human but you will have to be careful Sammie."

"I need to go to bed, I'm exhausted..." I said and stood and headed for the stairs.

"I'm sorry sweetie, I wish you could have kept living a simple regular life. I love you." He said and I just nodded, I wasn't sure if Iwould have been happier not knowing or if I felt better knowing the truth. I grabbed a sleeping bag and a pillow from one of the bags and headed up to my bedroom. I couldn't handle anymore information tonight, I just needed to sleep.

"Good night...." I said and disappeared upstairs.