Chapter 20

Chapter 20

When I woke up he was gone but the spot where he had slept was still warm so he hadn't been gone long. When I looked at the clock I realized why he was gone. It was almost noon and this was the latest I had slept in a very long time. That's when I noticed the note on the nightstand so I rolled over and grabbed it.

Sammie,

I'm sorry I couldn't be here when you woke up but duty calls. I would have had Denver handle it but he was the one who woke me from my sleep yelling in my head. Take a shower, eat some breakfast and please come meet me in my office as soon as you can.

Yours,

Gavin

Mine... I heard my wolf purr in my head as I thought the word, she was very fond of Gavin and his wolf. I sometimes think she was more obsessed with him than I was but she would never admit that to me, at least not without my bothering her about it for hours. I groaned as I got out of bed, not ready to face whatever Gavin needed to tell me, he obviously didn't want me distracting him from it again which is why he asked me to meet him in his office. I quickly headed for the bathroom to take a nice long shower. Just because he said soon didn't mean I was going to rush there only to be met with bad news. I took my time washing my hair and shaving my legs and by the time I got out the bathroom was billowing with steam. I brushed and blow dried my hair and put on a light touch of makeup and then headed for my closet. I grabbed my favorite skinny jeans and a white sweater and slipped on my sneakers and decided to finally head for the pack house.

Denver's Point of View

"Gav what are you going to do?" I demanded, I had demanded he come to his office an hour ago when I found the letter on his desk from the Council demanding he bring Sam to them for the hearing with Alpha Lucas.

"I have to bring her, I can't ignore the council." He growled back.

"So you're just going to hand her over?!" I yelled. I was freaking out. Sam was my best friend and losing her would be devastating to me but I had a feeling if Sam left that Gavin would go back to being the grumpy, mean, distant Alpha he had been since his rejection. When Sam arrived it was like she breathed life back into Gavin and he was the guy I grew up with again and I wanted to keep it that way and keep my best friend here as well. The council summoning her for the decision to Lucas's grievance was not a good sign.

"I don't want to but I might not have a choice!" He growled back at me.

"Did she even tell you or did she chicken out last night?" I questioned and I knew I was stepping over the boundaries of our friendship but I had to know if she confessed her feelings and this was the quickest way to get my answer. I didn't even need to hear his answer I knew it just by the look on his face, this is why he was closing himself off already, he was preparing himself for the pain that would come with losing her.

"She did... I don't even want to know how you know but she did." He said barely above a whisper, his pain hanging heavy in the air.

"And what did you say back?" I questioned and he narrowed his gaze at me and then it softened.

"Nothing, I kissed her and then she drifted off to sleep." He sighed rubbing his hand down his face. I was confused for a moment. Maybe he didn't feel the same way, maybe Sam was right and he was just drawn to her because they shared the same pain.

"Do you...do you not have feelings for her?" I stuttered out not sure if I wanted the answer.

"I do, even before I did my wolf did. He's claimed her as his mate he said she is his gift from the moon goddess and he is very upset I have not marked or mated her." He admitted and my heart skipped a beat at his confession. Yet why hadn't he told Sam, she needed to know...