Chapter Twelve~*

1- Jamie

I run until my legs start trembling. Even so, I'm still in the forest. But, at this point, I can hear the sound of cars rushing by. I stop and collapse on the floor, gasping desperately for air. My whole body behind trembling along side my legs. A weird feeling floods my system and I feel sick to my stomach. My head feels heavy and my vision begins slipping in and out of focus. I close my eyes, trying to get rid of the feeling of dizziness, and enjoy the cool feel that comes from the dirt. Without realizing it, I doze off, only to be awoken by shouting. I open one eye and notice a figure standing over me.

"I found her! I need to call in now." It goes quiet and the same voice continues. "Hello? Yes, I called to tell you I found the missing girl.... Her condition? It would seem she's passed out from exhaustion. But, otherwise, I don't see any other wounds on her. Well, actually it looks like she has a bandaged hand.... The bandage looks old and dirty..... You want me to see if she's breathing? How do I do that? ...... Okay, so I just flip her over and... Do I have to put my head there? ... Yes, okay. I'm going to do that right now. I'll put you on speaker."

"Okay. Now, do you have her flipped over yet?" A woman's voice says.

"Uh, not yet. I'm going to her now." I hear heavy footsteps coming towards me and my body reacts before I can think. I get into a crawling position and move away from him. "Whoa, shit." The guy says and stumbles back. My body shakes as I stand.

"Hello?" The lady starts yelling. "What happened? Is everything alright? Talk to me, kid. Is everything alright?" She keeps yelling.

The guy stares at me and picks up his phone. "Yeah, everything's fine. She's alive."

"Thank good-" Is all I hear because right then he presses a button and takes her off of speaker.

"Yeah. How long until police and parametics get here? ..... And you want me to stay here with her? ..... My mom's not going to like this... Okay, okay. I can hear them now.... Yes, good day to you too." He hangs up the phone and sighs before turning to me. "Hey, you look exhausted. You shouldn't exert yourself." He takes a step to me and I stumble back.

"St-stay away from me." I say and keep walking backwards.

He freezes. "Okay, okay I will. Just please, stop going back. I'm not going to hurt you, I promise." He looks at me with worried eyes.

I stop and look at him. My body is shaking uncontrollably. Finally, I collapse to the ground. The guy takes a worried step forward when I scream.

"Please, let me help you." he says.

"F-fine." I groan.

He rushes forward and grabs me. I scream out again as my body protests. I feel him shaking beneath me.

"Shh, I can hear the paramedics." His attention is drawn from me. "Look, they're here."

I look around and see a bunch of people running to us. Two are carrying something between them. They surround me and the guy. The guy is pulled away, causing me to protest.

"No." I moan. The people push the guy away. I groan and reach to him. "Bring him back." I yell and the people stare. I start to struggle out of their grip and reach to him. "Please!" I yell and push them away. I stand and try to walk to him but my body protests. I fall to the ground and scream.

"Bring the kid over here." A man yells and before I know it, I'm back in his arms.

I calm down and watch him. He's smiling at me. "They're going to take you. But I'll be right beside you, okay?"

I nod and they take me from his grip. I keep my eyes on him the whole time. The people place me on a stretcher and take me to an ambulance. They lift me up and place me inside the ambulance. The boy is right by my side like he promised.