Chapter Twenty Eight~*

1~ Jamie

The sun rises slowly over the tree tops. I stare as red, pink and gold lace through the sky and light up the forest beneath me. Sunrise has always been my favorite time of the day and when I was younger I used to wake up every morning just to see the sun rise. I smile and lean back against the rough surface of the roof and continue to stare at the sun rise.

"J-J-Jamie?"

I sit up quickly and my hand goes to my knife on reflex but I stop myself from pulling it out when I recognize the stutter.

"Gold!" I jump up and throw my arms around him. "What are you doing up so early?" I pull away from him and sit back down.

"I-I-I wa-was bu-bu-busy." He takes a seat beside me and stares at his hands.

"Someone played your game?"

"Ye-yeah."

I lean back and nod, looking back out over the tree tops. The sun is already well into the sky but the view is still gorgeous. Gold looks out over the forest and leans out to see to the ground.

"D-d-does J-J-Jeff know y-you're out h-h-here?" Gold leans further over the edge of the roof.

"No. For once, he let me free."

"Tha-that's g-good." He lies down on his stomach and lets his arm dangle down.

"Yeah, especially considering he's been working me like a dog for the last week." I snarl.

"We-well, h-he ju-justs wa-wants y-you t-to b-be able t-to protect y-y-yourself." He drops both hands over the side.

"Maybe." I sit back up. "Gold, how many times do I have to tell you not to stutter around me?"

He puts his arms back on the roof and sits up. "Sorry." He takes a deep breath. "I'm just not used to it."

"It's okay. You sound much better when you're not stuttering." I smile and he smiles back.

"Jamie, where the hell are you?" I look down and see Jeff come racing out of the house with Smile at his heels. I was introduced to Smile about five days ago and he still freaks me out. "Jamie?" Jeff runs around the house several times before he collapses on the ground out of exhaustion. By this point, I'm laughing my ass off and Gold is giggling beside me.

Our laughing attracts Jeff's attention and he looks at the roof.

"Jamie!" He shouts and I can feel his barely suppressed anger. "Damn it, I've been looking for you. Have you been up there all this time?"

"Yeah." I laugh some more at his outraged expression.

"Well, get your ass down here or I'll go up to get you. And you should know if I do, you might take an accidental fall!" He begins to head inside and I quickly stand up.

"Shit!" I race to the door on the roof. "Come on, Gold." He jumps up and races to my side. We push the door open and hurry inside. I hurry to the balcony and look down to see Jeff barely reaching the third floor. "Safe." I say and collapse onto the ground. Gold laughs and joins me.

Soon, Jeff reaches the top floor and notices Gold and I on the floor. He shakes his head and joins us on the floor. He leans against me and I smile and rest my head on his shoulder. I feel him sigh and shake his head.

"Jamie, you just love to mess with me, don't you?" Jeff asks.

From the corner of my eye, I see Gold get up and leave. "Well," I turn my head to watch as Gold leaves. "It is pretty fun. It's nice to see a reaction other than anger from you." He sighs again.

"Yeah, well, you keep working on that." He stands and my head falls a little. "Come on, I want to show you something." He holds his hand out to me and I grab it, letting him pull me up.

He walks to the stairs and leads me down the twelve flights of stairs until we reach the bottom floor. Then, he walks outside and just keeps going. I jog to keep up with his quick pace.

"So, where are we going?" He shakes his head and keeps walking. "Come on. Please?" Another shake of the head. "Please?"

"Jamie, just shut up and follow me."

I throw my hands up in defense but stay quiet. We walk for hours in silence. Finally, when it's already about noon, Jeff begins to slow.

"We're here." He looks over at me and moves a clump of tree branches out of the way. I step through them but stop dead in my tracks at the sight before me.

"Oh, Jeff, what is this?" I step forward and the crunch of snow fills the air.

"It's a meadow. In summer, it's filed with the prettiest flowers I've ever seen. I found this a few years ago. I thought you would want to see it in summer, when there would be flowers here, but I've been wanting to show you this place so badly." He steps in and stands beside me, our shoulders touching.

"It's amazing, even without the flowers." My eyes trail over the giant field of snow. "It really is. Thank you for showing it to me." I step forward and pick up a handful of snow. "Snow ball fight?" I raise my eyebrows at him and smile.

"No, I can't." He sits on a stump.

"Why not?" I sit on the snow beside him and pay no attention to the cold or even the wetness from the snow.

"I'll get too mad and try to kill you. You're not a CreepyPasta, so I might still kill you." He looks over at the snow and completely avoids my gaze.

"Wow, that's the first time you've ever seen reluctant to kill me. Most of the time, you seem happy when I put myself in a situation where you could easily kill and/or hurt me. What's up?" I get on my knees. "You're not sick, are you?" I place my hand to his forehead.

"No, I'm not sick." He grabs my hand and begins to push it away but stops. "Jamie." He has a weird look in his eyes.

"Jeff?" For some reason, my heart starts to pound crazily in my chest.

"I-I'm sorry."

"W-What-" I don't get to finish my sentence.

He leans forward and presses his lips softly against mine. My heart stops and then picks up an even faster pace. I feel the urge to push him away but another part of me refuses to do such a thing. So, I kiss him back. He wraps an arm around me and pulls me in closer. I can feel his heart beating just as crazy as mine through the fabric of his jacket.

Then, just like that, he pulls away and stands. I'm left on the floor, watching as Jeff practically runs from me. I stare at him in shock for a few second before I'm able to get up and follow him.

"Jeff!" He keeps walking. "Jeff, stop." I notice him slowing down. "Jeff, please, stop." He comes to a complete stop but doesn't turn around. I run to him and grab his arm. I turn him towards me and so many questions fill my thoughts, but when I open my mouth to speak, the only one that comes out is, "Are you really going to leave me alone back there?"

I can see his surprise but I don't say anything. I just hook my arms through his and rest my head on his shoulder. A strong feeling of betrayal rises up inside me.

2~ Jeff

I look over at Jamie and that weird feeling rises in my chest again. I want to kiss her and hold her but I know I shouldn't. I'm surprised she even let me kiss her once. There is no way she'd let me kiss her again.

"Uh, let's go back to the mansion."

She looks at me and nods. There's a smile on her face but I can still see the tears in her eyes.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Question: Facebook or Tumblr?