Chapter Seventeen~* (Edt.)

1~ Jamie

I carry a pile of clothes out of my private restroom. Gabriel is lying down on the hospital bed, on his phone like always.

"I'm glad you're finally able to go home." He says, sitting up and quickly putting his phone away when he sees me walk out.

"Yeah," I say and smile. "I can't wait. My body feels awesome, I'm no longer on any pain killers and now doctors won't be trying to stick needles into my body," I walk over to him on the bed and put the clothes down. "And, I'm back in my ordinary clothes. Life is good."

"Yup. Now, I get to meet the rest of your family." I tense up at his words.

"What?" I question.

"Well, I thought since we're dating," My face heats up after hearing these words. "I should meet your family."

"Uh, well, there's not really anyone to meet. I'm an only child and you've already met my mother. There's no one else to meet." I look down at my stomach and feel a slight pain. "No one else." A tear I didn't know had been forming slipped out and landed on my hand.

"Jamie, what's wrong?" Gabriel asks, coming to me and wrapping me in his arms. I cling onto him, almost like how a starving man would cling to his last piece of bread. I breathe in his scent and let it calm me down.

"I don't want to talk about it." I whisper as more tears slip out.

"I understand. Come on, let's get out of this place." He stands me up and I hold his hand as we walk out of the hospital room.

I don't pay attention to the walk out of the hospital, letting Gabriel steer me out of the hospital. He leads me to my mother's car. When she sees us, she waves to me and runs over.

"Oh, sweetheart, I'm so glad to see you out of that place. It's so dreary in there. Come on, lets get you home." She quickly packs me and Gabriel into the car and drives off.

"Gabriel," I say softly. He turns to me and grabs my hand. "I-I have something to tell you." He frowns at me before nodding and tightening the grip he has on my hand. I take a deep breath before continuing, "Do you remember a news story about three or four years ago? It was about a man going crazy and murdering a woman." In the front seat, my mother stiffens and turns her head slightly towards us.

"Uh, yeah, I think so. The man committed suicide after, right?" He asks, frowning over at me. I nod and take a shaky breath. "Jamie, what does that have to do with anything?"

"Hang on, I'll explain right now. You see, that man, he was my father." Gabriel's hand tightens on mine. "And, there's more to the story. My mother and father had gotten divorced when I was younger. I don't know why. But-"

"He was a drunk." My mother whispers, cutting me off. "He was always drinking. I didn't like it. Now, he didn't always drinking. It started a few years after we got married. At first it was very casual. A beer here and there with his friends or an occasional glass of wine with me. But, after you were born, things got worse. He drank all the time and was hardly ever home. Always away at either work or the bar. Then he started trying to abuse me. After to third time, I said enough was enough. I wasn't going to stick around to see if he'll sober up for his wife and child. I left, filed a divorce and started a new life for you and I." Through out her story, her voice has changed and now it sounds as if she is seconds away from bursting into tears, which I'm pretty sure she is. I wait for a few seconds to see if she'll continue. She doesn't.

"Mom, I never knew that." I say. She nods but doesn't say anything. She probably can't or just won't. "Well, uhm, I guess after a few years my father started asking for custody of me and probably said he'd sobered up." I look to my mother for confirmation and she just nods in response. "And, I'm guessing my mother believed him. But he lied. He didn't sober up. He was worse than before. But, my mom didn't know that. So, she allowed me to go. I was there for only three hours before it happened." I stop and look down at my hands, more tears forming in my eyes.