Chapter Thirteen~* (Edt.)

1- Jamie

"Jamie." I turn my head and see my mother come rushing in. "Oh, my beautiful baby girl!" She sobs and runs to my bedside, grabbing me and pulling me into a suffocating hug. I turn to Gabriel for help but I see him getting up as if to leave.

"Are you going?" I ask as my mom pull away.

"Yeah. My mom should be here soon. It was nice getting to actually know you, Jamie." He starts to walk out.

"N-no!" I shout and struggle to get up but my mom puts her hand on my shoulder and keeps me in place. "Don't go!" 

Gabriel steps away the doorway and frowns at me."Why do you keep doing that?"

I shrug. "I don't know. I-I just don't want you to leave me. Remember, you promised." 

"Jamie..." He looks at me with surprised eyes.

I must admit, I'm surprised too. I've never felt so needy before. I take pride in being independent. I used to rely on absolutely no one. Now, here I am getting over-worked because one guy. I can't believe I let myself slip so far away from myself. I can feel my mom's eyes on me but I refuse to look in her direction, partially out of fear of what I might see.

"I'm sorry, just please, don't le-"

"What is going on here?" A soft voice asks.

Gabriel flinches slightly and turns to the door. A huge woman takes up the whole space in the doorway with a pissed off expression on her face. It takes me a few seconds to realize that it's me she's glaring at me and, for a second, I'm suddenly scared I'd be her next meal. She takes a step in and looks from me to Gabriel.

"Look, Mom, nothing is going on." Gabriel steps in between her and me. 

"Doesn't look like it!" She snaps and moves around him. "I already told, I will not tolerate you putting yourself in danger by being with her."

My mother stands, her hand on my shoulder, but stays quiet. I push myself into a sitting position, ignoring how my whole body shrieks in pain. This is a surprise to me, after all, I shouldn't be in this much pain after merely running, but I push it to the back of my mind. 

"Look, ma'am, I understand you may be worried, but I have no intention of bringing any harm to your son." 

Her glare softens but she shakes her head. "I want to believe you but I won't let my son be around a girl who seems to have so much trouble around her. Don't think I don't know who you are and what happened to you. Everyone in town still remembers." My heart stops for a beat at her words and she sees it because she nods, fake sympathy etched onto her face. "Yes, we remember how your own-"

"Mom, stop!" 

She does, her mouth snapping close. We all look at him. His body is shaking slightly and he turns from her, something close to disgust written in the lines of his face. "Mom, I think you should go. That was uncalled for." He keeps his eyes on the floor the whole time.

"What?" She asks, though I could tell she had heard him perfectly; she just couldn't believe it. When he doesn't look at her, she seems to except what he said and heads for the door. Just outside the door, she stops and says, "We can talk about it more later, when you get home."

"No," His eyes meet mine. "I don't think so. Don't expect me to come home."

His mom frowns and opens her mouth to say something, moving to come back inside. 

"Oh, shut up." My mom says and closes the door. I hadn't even noticed her moving over there. 

I sit in silence, watching his mother's shadow on the other side of the door. Gabriel  had turned around when my mom closed the door and he does the same, staring intently. It takes a few moments but eventually she leaves, taking her huge shadow with her.