Chapter Fourteen~* (Edt.)

1~ Jamie

I lean my head back against my pillow. My eyelids grow heavy, causing me to close them and drift off. Gabriel sits in a chair by the door, on his phone. It's been silent between us since my mom left and I realize I have nothing to say to him. Again, I surprised by my actions earlier towards him, how desperate I had been to stay near this boy I don't even know. 

"So, uhm," I'm snapped out of my thoughts and I focus again on Gabriel. "This might be an awkward question for you, but what happened?"

I look away from him. My hands starts shaking slightly, remembering the feeling of the knife sliding into the girl's back, feeling my hands turning the knife and digging it in deeper, slipping right underneath her ribs. The smell of blood is everywhere and it takes all of my willpower to shake the memory from my head. He's looking at me with worry in his eyes and it's he regrets asking the question.

"I don't want to talk about it here. You won't believe me." I say, looking down at my hands, trying to forget what they look like covered in blood.

I hear a rush of movement and before I can even look up, Gabriel's arms are around me and my nostrils are filled with a woodsy smell. I breath deeply, wondering how I never notice this amazing smell before.

"I'm willing to wait. And I'll believe whatever you have to tell me. Got it?" He pulls away and looks me in the eye.

"Okay."

He smiles and nods. This time, instead of retreating to the chair, he stays on the bed with me. We fall back into a comfortable silence.

"Jamie, you seem tired." Gabriel says, watching me closely.

"My body really hurts but I can't say I'm very sleepy and I still have to wait for my mom to come back with food."

"Yeah, that makes sense." His pulls out his phone and checks the time. He starts to get up. "I think visiting hours will be ending soon. I should go."

"W-wait! No. Just, stay  here a little longer." I say with tears forming in my eyes. My hand goes up and quickly wipe them away. "Can I ask you a favor?"

He frowns, carefully thinking it over. "Sure. What is it?" He says slowly.

"Can you lay with me until it ends? Please?" He looks at me intently and my face flushes. "Not . . . in that way. I just . . . I don't know? Just, please?"

 "Okay, but only because you asked. Just remember it will only be for a little bit." He walks back over to me.

"That's fine," I say, fighting back a smile and then pat the spot beside me. 

He smiles a little at me and sits down. I lay on the pillow and, after a short hesitation, he does the same. I turn on my side. Then I turn on my stomach. I keep tossing and turning.

"Jamie, stop moving." Gabriel mutters.

"Sorry, this pillow is so uncomfortable." I say, turning to face him. "Can you be my pillow?" I ask, realizing only too late that I probably should not have asked that. 

"Uh, sure." I smile and move closer to him, laying my head on his chest. He wraps a protective arm around me and I bury my face in his clothes, breathing in that amazing smell of his. I swear, I can live off of his scent.

We lay like that for only a few minutes before he has to get up and leave. Before he leaves, he tells me he'll come back to visit after school tomorrow, if it was alright with me. I respond by saying it's okay and then the door closes behind him. I'm still laying down when my mom walks in with the food and we eat together in a comfortable silence. I know she has questions for me and that there are probably police who want to speak with me but I also know that my mom will let me rest today. Mother's really are the greatest.