Chapter 5 : Year 1

The next two weeks whizzed by as I was consumed with homework, studying, and avoiding Draco Malfoy. I spent a considerable amount of time with Harry, Ron and Hermione in the library. Hermione helped me with all of my homework, and often times she would end up doing half of Ron's for him. Ron had finally stopped burping up slugs, but any time he opened his mouth I always feared a slimy little creature might just pop out.

Ginny was still angry with me for my rude comment to Colin Creevey on the first day of class. Every time she saw me she would turn around and run the other way. I'd often try to get her attention in class, but she would always pretend not to hear me.

One day, I was walking back to the Slytherin dungeons from the Great Hall when I saw her coming my way. Flustered at the sight of me, she quickly spun around to dash away, but in the process she dropped a few of her books on the floor.

I hurried over to her and crouched down to help her pick them up. Most of the books I recognized as Lockhart's, but there was one small, black book that didn't look like any of our school books.

"Thanks," she muttered hastily as she grabbed the books out of my hands.

"Er—Ginny—what book is that?" I asked nonchalantly as we both stood up.

She looked down at the little black book on the top of the pile and her cheeks went red. "Oh, it's just a diary."

I gave her a small smile. "Oh, that's nice."

We both paused, looking at each other awkwardly in the silence.

"I'm sorry," Ginny finally blurted. "I'm sorry I've been so angry with you. It was really stupid of me, actually. I just thought you were mean because of what you said about Colin, and then I'd always see you talking with Harry—"

"Harry?" I said as my brow furrowed. "Oh, Ginny, I don't like Harry—not like that. I know that you fancy him; I would never do that to you."

Ginny blushed as she looked down awkwardly. "It's that obvious, huh?"

I smirked crookedly. "I don't think he knows, don't worry. But—er—are we good now? Friends?"

She beamed with happiness. "Of course! But—er—I better go. I have a lot to do tonight. I'll see you in class tomorrow."

As she dashed off, someone came up behind me and tapped me on the shoulder. I spun around to see a little blond boy with a large camera in his hands.

"Hi Lainey!"

"Oh, hi, Colin," I greeted roughly. "How are you?"

"I'm doing great! Can I get another picture of you? The other one I took didn't turn out so great," he said with disappointment. "Your hair was a bit messy and it just didn't look right—"

"Well, well, well, it looks like the Mudblood has a Mudblood boyfriend, hm?" Draco Malfoy drawled as he walked up behind Colin. Of course, Crabbe and Goyle were at his side, their arms crossed coldly.

"Piss off, Malfoy," I barked irritably. I wanted to tell him that Colin was not my boyfriend, but then I really didn't want to accidentally insult the poor boy again.

"Ooh, would you take a picture of us together?" Colin questioned excitedly. "Of Lainey and me, I mean—"

"I'm not touching your nasty Muggle contraption," Malfoy scoffed. "It'll contaminate me with your dirty blood."

I clenched my jaw and my fists as I glared angrily at Malfoy. Sure, Colin was annoying, but he didn't deserve to be bullied by this prick. "Leave now—before I decide to jinx you all again." A flicker of fear ran through Crabbe and Goyle's eyes. "I'm sure Goyle enjoys his legs better when they're stable, and Crabbe probably prefers his brain to be at its normal, partial functionality. As for you, Malfoy, I do have a few jinxes that I'm not afraid to try out on you."