Chapter 18 : Year 2

Most of September and October passed in a blur. Snape and I had lessons every Wednesday, and every time I failed to produce a decent Patronus Charm. Fred and I had a few more Quidditch sessions as well (with George's broom instead of Malfoy's), which I was delighted to say went perfectly well. I thought it was a bit curious that George never came to play with us, but I did enjoy spending time with Fred, and I was getting much better at Quidditch, which was exciting. Too bad I'd never be able to play on a team. Stupid sexist Slytherins.

Draco Malfoy and I hadn't spoken much since the day I'd stolen his broom. Honestly, I'd been avoiding him, as usual. This time it was different, though: I wasn't avoiding him because I hated him, but I was avoiding him because I was utterly confused. He hadn't made any snide remarks, and he'd barely even scowled at me. It almost felt like we weren't enemies anymore, which was just too strange for me to handle.

One Saturday, I left the Slytherin common room early in the morning, expecting to see Fred waiting for me so we could go play Quidditch. However, when I stepped out, I saw that it wasn't just Fred, but George was there as well.

"Hi, guys," I greeted excitedly. "George, you're coming to join us this morning as well, I see. No more Angelina issues to worry about?"

"Actually, neither of us can play Quidditch this morning, sad to say," Fred told me.

"We're going to Hogsmeade today; it's the first trip of the year," George said.

"We could try to sneak you out—"

"But it'll be pretty difficult—"

"Not to mention, if you get caught, you'll be in loads of trouble."

I raised my eyebrows at them. "Wow, you two are advising me not to do something that'll get me in trouble? That's certainly a first."

"Well, we're just trying to look out for you, Fitz," Fred replied.

"You are just a second year," George reminded me.

"We'd do the same for Ginny."

"You young ones don't know how to get away with things yet."

I forced a laugh, but I was really just feeling disappointed. I'd really been looking forward to practicing Quidditch with Fred...and George too, of course, if he came... And then Fred had just compared me to Ginny, his baby sister. It was nice that they cared about me as much as they cared about Ginny, I suppose, but...

"You two have fun," I said sincerely.

"We will," they assure me before Fred gave me a wink, and then they were off.

I spent most of the day in the library reading with Melody. She was a nice reading partner because she didn't disturb me, but she also made me feel like I wasn't completely alone. I did some homework, but I mostly spent my time researching dementors, Azkaban, and Sirius Black. I'd learned a lot about the three over the last few months, but I still felt like there was something missing...

"Melody—"

"Don't talk to me, Fitzroy," she droned, not looking up from her book.

"I just have a question—"

"And I don't want to answer."

I let out a sigh, glancing back down at my book. I almost wished that Ashley and Astoria were here so I'd have some one to talk to, but they were spending the day doing their hair and make up. I was happy that Melody wasn't so obsessed with those sorts of things. Besides, if anyone was going to be able to answer this question, it would be Melody.