Chapter 78 : Year 4

It proved very difficult not to laugh during Lyle's fake cry; everyone else felt genuine sympathy for him, and I was forced to play along. To vanquish my giggles, I merely thought about the fact that my twin brother still wanted to be with that psychopath after all she'd said and done to him. And to me.

Evan insisted on spending the rest of the holiday break at the Greengrass's house, so Andromeda and Ted Tonks brought the both of them there after dinner Christmas evening. The next morning, Garren and Bethanne departed on their own to retreat back to her family's house, which was basically a Muggle mansion. That left Lyle, Lupin, Nymphadora, and I alone in the apartment, a situation that didn't last more than the afternoon before Lyle asked permission to go visit a friend. While I was seething, I was forced not to object, as, in his eyes, I was not aware that he was currently dating Melody Flemming.

With all of my brothers gone, I didn't even have to ask Lupin if we could go to Grimmauld Place; he simply told me to grab my belongings, and we were off. We arrived at the Black's house by the Floo Network, departing from a crummy old fireplace that was located in the deserted back lounge of my brothers' apartment building.

When I shot out of the basement's fireplace after Lupin, I was surprised to be caught by two pairs of lengthy arms.

"Oi, we caught her!"

"Ginny said we couldn't catch you, Fitz, but we did."

As I stood up straight, my eyes blinked wildly before my vision fell upon the two identical catchers, Fred and George. They both wore sweaters, presumably made by Molly, with their first initial on the front, as did all of the teenagers scattered throughout the basement beyond them. My attention wasn't focused on Harry, Hermione, Ron, Ginny, or even George, though; Fred's warm, brown eyes held my breathlessly paralyzed gaze.

"She reckoned you were too heavy for us to handle," George went on, snapping my eyes away from his twin.

"George!" Ginny scolded as she stomped over toward us, wearing a "G" sweater like her brother. "I did not say that! I simply thought you two weren't coordinated enough to actually catch a person—even a thin, light person like Lainey."

I let out a laugh that stemmed from the elation of my heart and then jumped on my best friend with a hug. "I've missed you so much, Gin—I've been so worried about your father and all of you—"

"It's fine, Lainey," she assured me after squeezing me and then letting go. "We went to visit him at St. Mungo's yesterday, and he's doing much better now."

"We're—er—sorry, Lainey, that we didn't believe you," Harry chimed in as he, Ron, and Hermione stepped up behind Ginny. "I had a vision about the attack the night it happened—and I should have known you were telling the truth when you mentioned the door—"

"Don't—don't apologize," I insisted, keeping my eyes closed a bit longer as I blinked. "I understand why you all wouldn't believe me, and I'm just glad Mr. Weasley's all right. Where's Molly? And Sirius?"

"Right here," Sirius Black replied as he stepped next to George with Lupin on his other side. "Glad you could join us, Lainey."

"I am too," I assured him with a wide smile. "I only wish I could have been here yesterday with you all. The only enjoyable part about Christmas for the Fitzroys was meeting Nymphadora's parents—"

"You met them, did you?" Sirius cut in swiftly. "Ted was always a good-spirited bloke, and Andie's my favorite cousin."

"Andromeda?" I clarified in disbelief. "She's your cousin?"

"Well of course she is, she was born a Black. Didn't you tell her, Rem?" Sirius prompted with a light-hearted chuckle. "She's Narcissa and Bellatrix's sister—always was the nicest of the three—the nicest of all the Blacks, frankly—"