Chapter 24 : Year 2

I slept on the couch that night because I didn't want to face any of my roommates. I knew that Astoria would be angry with me for ditching her yesterday, which was why I was extremely nervous when walking up to the Slytherin table for breakfast the next morning.

"Hey guys," I greeted warily. Melody didn't bother to look up at me, and when Astoria and Ashley did, I almost wished they hadn't, as they were both wearing particularly nasty scowls.

"Get away, Mudblood," Astoria sneered. "You're no longer welcome here."

I pressed my lips together. "Was I ever welcome here?"

"No," Melody snorted.

"You did a really bad thing, Lainey," Ashley stated, shaking her head in disappointment.

"I know—I know, I'm sorry," I apologized sincerely. Astoria scrunched her nose. "I was going to get you tissues, but then—I don't know—I just ended up on the Quidditch field—"

"Let me guess: your psychic abilities brought you there?" she questioned, crossing her arms.

"Well—possibly—"

"Astoria had no tissues, Lainey! NO TISSUES! What do you have to say about that?" Ashley demanded, drawing all of the attention of the Slytherins at the table. I tried to mentally block the blood from rushing to my cheeks.

"I know—I'm a horrible friend. I'm so sorry," I pleaded. "I got detention, if that makes you feel any better. I had to sweep the dungeons with Malfoy. It was dreadful."

"Shouldn't have said that," Melody muttered.

"YOU DID WHAT WITH DRACO!" Astoria exclaimed as she jumped out of her seat. I bit my lips, glancing down at the other end of the table where Daphne Greengrass and Pansy Parkinson were cackling, and Draco Malfoy was giving me a menacing smirk.

"We—We just swept the dungeons," I hissed, trying to deflect the attention away from us. "It wasn't enjoyable, I swear—"

"You swept dungeons with my future husband?" Astoria demanded, her face red with anger.

"You're never gonna have a husband, you little twit!" Daphne called down to her sister.

"Astoria—it was detention. We were forced into it, and you know I hate Malfoy—"

"You didn't seem to hate me when we were snogging in the dungeons last night!" Malfoy called from his seat.

"WHAT!" Astoria and Pansy screeched at the same time.

"That is not true!" I insisted, completely outraged. I pointed my finger angrily in Malfoy's direction. "You are a liar! Who would ever believe that? Everyone knows I hate Malfoy, right? Ashley? Harper? Anderson? Someone back me up please—"

"I think you're a rotten liar and a horrible friend," Melody injected.

I glared at her with hateful eyes. "I was not asking for your opinion, Melody—"

"I will destroy you, Mudblood!" Pansy cried—literally, there were tears in her eyes.

I completely ignored her as I looked back to Astoria. "C'mon, you have to believe me. I hate Malfoy, and I will go get you tissues right now—"

"I don't need tissues anymore," she replied smugly as she flipped her hair and sat down. "You may leave me now. I have nothing more to say."