Chapter 106 : Year 5

This edit of Lainey was made by https://www.quotev.com/Daryldixonlover (:

Throughout the coming weeks, a few more of the Weasley twins' love potions were distributed among various students that would leap at me in the middle of the Great Hall or in the corridors or even during classes, professing their undying love for me. The professors were piqued, and some even threatened detention if I slipped any more of these illegal love potions to my fellow students. No one really believed me when I said that it wasn't my fault. And there were certainly some very disappointed secret admirers that shot hateful glances at me after the incidents. Overall, I found it mostly just comical. Fred would have laughed. I would have told him about it if we were still on speaking terms. We were not.

On the first of April, I drafted about fifty letters to the twins for their birthday. Every time I began, I thought I knew what I wanted to say, but my worlds would crumble apart, and I ended up crumpling every piece of parchment before scratching down one coherent sentence. I wanted to tell Fred the whole truth, mostly, but it was too risky to send by owl. I'd tried the blackboard every day since the "Weasley incident" at the beginning of March, but he'd never responded. If I were him, I would have broken the blackboard or chucked it. If the roles were switched, if he'd dumped me, became a Death Eater, and gotten with another girl, I would probably hate him forever. And that was all that I really deserved now: hatred. A deep loathing that no apology could ever reverse. Still, though, I tried.

Even as the weather grew warmer throughout April, my spirit grew colder. Malfoy and I had made minor progress with the Vanishing Cabinet, but not enough to bring any Death Eaters through alive. I considered telling them to come through in order to kill them, but then I remembered that Voldemort knew where my brothers were. And that I'd Seen a vision of us succeeding. My fate was sealed.

Though my depression over Fred often fogged my mind, Hermione's revelation of my tattoo was at the forefront of my thoughts. I spent most of my free periods in the library, combing through what little information about slave marks there was. None of the ancient books could give me the answers that I sought, though. I wanted to know why Voldemort had chosen me as his slave. I wanted to know how my parents had let the entire thing happen. I wanted to know why Remus or Dumbledore or even Snape had never told me, because I knew that they knew. Many questions had been answered when Hermione told me what this triangular snake tattoo was, but with those answers, new inquiries arose. I was beginning to believe that there would never be a point when I would know it all, despite my Seeing abilities.

One Tuesday in late April, I entered Divination to find Ginny looking particularly glum. She never looked rightly pleased to be in this "rubbish" class, but something about the way she stared at the crystal ball today was odd.

"Ginny isn't doing well today," Luna Lovegood told me before I could make an inquiry. "Too many Nargles floating around in her head."

"Mm, I should have suspected." My eyes lingered warily in Ginny's direction. "Anything else, Gin?"

"I broke up with Dean," she mumbled as her gaze flickered back to where the Slytherin boys sat. "Don't tell Anderson."

"Oh... I'm...sorry," I managed to say, because I wasn't really sure what else there was to say. I'd known for a while that Ginny and Dean's relationship wasn't going well, but I didn't expect her to be so down about the break up. "What...happened?"

"He kept trying to help me through the portrait hole," she replied bitingly. "As if I couldn't do it myself. It was the worst."

I shot a glance in Luna's direction, but she was staring up at the ceiling. "Well...um...that's rough, Gin. Sorry to hear it."