Chapter 15 : Year 2

When I woke up the next morning, Ashley and Melody had already left for breakfast, so I walked to the Great Hall with Astoria. Luckily, Malfoy hadn't snuck into our room in the middle of the night to steal his wand back, so I kept it securely in my pocket, where it would stay for the remainder of the day.

"How come you're not angry with me for stealing Malfoy's wand?" I asked Astoria as we walked through the corridors. "How come all of Slytherin hasn't been sending me death threats?"

Astoria shrugged noncommittally. "Everyone's given up on taking sides."

My brow furrowed as I glanced in her direction. "Why?"

She was slightly hesitant to respond. "Because...things have changed, and not everyone would be on Draco's side anymore. If we all got in the middle of all of your quarrels with him—and you have quite a few—then it'd be a full out war for Slytherin."

I smiled lightly to myself. "You'd really be on my side?"

"Oh, no way," she scoffed immediately. "I'd always chose Draco over you. But Ashley might be on your side...if Adrian wasn't...or was... I can never really tell what exactly her goal is when it comes to her brother."

I let out a laugh, shaking my head. "So, are you—like—dating my brother yet or what?"

"Who, Evan?" she asked dimly.

I rolled my eyes sarcastically. "No, Garren."

"Well, I wouldn't be against dating Garren—"

"Of course I meant Evan," I giggled as I backhanded her arm lightly.

"Oh, no, I'm not going to date him," she replied simply. "I'm just going to let him be miserable thinking about me and what I might be doing here at Hogwarts. That'll really keep the attraction alive. And then, meanwhile—while I'm here—I'm going to try to get Draco to notice me."

I raised my eyebrows, feeling completely baffled by that unexpected response. "Wow—um—good plan."

"I know, it's flawless."

When we entered the Great Hall, I immediately caught Ginny's eye, and she came sprinting toward me.

"Lainey! Are you all right?" she panted. "I heard you fainted on the train—"

"I'm fine," I assured her. "It was just those—those dementors—they were trying to suck my soul I think—"

"You missed the feast last night," she told me. "Dumbledore told us that the dementors are going to be guarding Hogwarts because they're afraid Sirius Black is going to try to get in. Dumbledore was furious that they got onto the train, though. He hates them, I think."

"Me too. No one else got hurt, did they?"

Ginny bit her lip. "Well, Harry was attacked also. He fainted, like you. Professor Lupin saved him. I heard he saved you too."

"Who's Professor Lupin?"

"Oh—our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Anyway—do you want to come sit with us? I think everyone will be happy to see that you're okay."

I nodded, and she grabbed my arm and pulled me over to the Gryffindor table. The Great Hall looked exactly as it had last year, but for some reason it felt particularly gloomy. I wondered if it had anything to do with the lurking demeanors.

"Oi, Fitz!" Fred greeted eagerly as soon as I walked up to the table. "We were worried you'd died before you saw how unpleased Percy is with his new badge."