Chapter 23 : Year 2

A few weeks went by and I hadn't spoken to Draco Malfoy since our trip to Diagon Alley. He seemed to feel completely vulnerable since I'd met his family, and I enjoyed the newfound sense of power I had over him.

All of Slytherin had been ogling over our new wands since the day we got them. No one knew that they were sister wands, of course, but I preferred to keep that a secret. I hadn't even planned on telling anyone about our trip to Diagon Alley—in fear that Astoria would be extremely angry, and the Gryffindors would hate me—but none of them seemed to think much of it.

"What are the Malfoys like?" Ashley asked me as we walked to class one day.

"I bet they're totally high class," Astoria said, her head held high. "Most pure blood wizards are. I mean, just look at me."

I let a smirk run across my lips. "I can't believe you're not mad at me for going to Diagon Alley with Draco. I thought you'd be jealous."

Astoria flipped her hair and rolled her eyes. "I don't get jealous. Besides, who cares about Draco now that I've discovered Kent Higgins?"

Ginny seemed to love my new wand, but that was probably because I hadn't told anyone that the Malfoys actually bought it for me. I felt physically sick when I thought about that fact, and it surfaced in my mind nearly every time I used my new wand.

"Where's Hermione?" I asked one evening at dinner in the Great Hall. I sat with the Gryffindors for meals every other day, although I wished I could sit with them more. They were certainly more pleasant to be around than the Slytherins.

"In the library," Ron grumbled as he picked at his food. "Her bloody cat chased Scabbers away again! He's gone!"

I pressed my lips together, staring at Ron with apologetic eyes. Harry didn't look too pleased either, but I don't think he cared too much about Ron's rat...

"What's wrong with you, Harry?" Ginny asked timidly.

"Oh—er—there's a Quidditch match on Saturday and I still don't have a broom," he told us glumly.

"We could steal Malfoy's for you," George offered as he chewed.

"But we don't think you'd want it, considering it's still shooting sparks out the end," Fred added, flashing a grin.

Harry tried to force a smile. "Thanks guys, really, but I'm just hoping I'll get my—"

"Mr. Potter," a stern voice prompted, and we all looked up to see that McGonagall was standing beside the table, holding a sleek, shiny new broomstick in her hands. "I'm pleased to inform you that we have found no traces of dark or potentially harmful magic in this broomstick. You may use it during the match on Saturday."

Harry's and Ron's faces both lit up as Harry reached up to grab his new Firebolt. Everyone at Gryffindor table was quickly standing to come huddle around us and take a look at the new broomstick.

"Wow, Harry!" Seamus marveled, still chewing on a chicken leg.

"That's a nice broom, Harry," I marveled, staring down at it. The nicest broom I ever rode was Malfoy's Nimbus 2001, but this broom looked a hundred times more advanced. Harry would have no trouble catching the Snitch now.

Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs even came over to ogle at Harry's new broom. Everyone seemed excited about the fact that someone at Hogwarts now owned a Firebolt—except for the Slytherins, of course. When I got up to leave the Great Hall, they were all sulking grumpily at the table, and I stifled a snicker. I just couldn't wait for the Gryffindor vs. Slytherin match later in the spring.