Chapter 27 : Year 2

A few weeks went by and nothing changed much. Fred and I continued practicing Quidditch every Saturday again, and Draco Malfoy—thoroughly convinced that Ashley wanted to take his place as Seeker—continued practicing every Saturday as well. I didn't see much improvement, since every time after the week he'd beaten me he failed to catch the little golden ball. He would get so frustrated with being unable to find the Snitch that he'd just leave the field, and then Fred and I would have to go retrieve it. I think he was paying Crabbe and Goyle to tell him he was getting better, though, since they were constantly giving him boisterous compliments at the Slytherin table in the Great Hall.

Before I knew it, exams were beginning, and I'd almost completely forgotten that I wanted to mend my friendship with Ron. We'd talked, of course, but it was still as awkward and uncomfortable as usual.

So, on the last day of exams, I decided I was finally going to go have a much-needed conversation with Ron. I marched up to the Gryffindor table, fully prepared to pull him away and speak with him in private, but when I got there, Hermione bombarded me with her teary-eyed ranting.

"Oh, Lainey!" she cried softly as I approached them. I'd never seen Hermione so distraught, so instead of yanking Ron out of the room, I sat down next to him and tried to console Hermione.

"They're going to kill him!" she went on, her expression of sadness turning to rage. "It's just so cruel! He's harmless!"

I looked to Harry and Ron as Hermione buried her face in her hands. "Er...who?"

"Buckbeak," Hermione sniffled, as she sat up straight. "They're going to execute him today. It's simply atrocious."

"You mean the hippogriff that attacked Malfoy? They're going to kill him?" I questioned, clenching my fists. "By Malfoy's request, no doubt?"

"Of course," Ron grumbled. "That lousy git gets everything he wants. I'm surprised he hasn't gotten Hagrid fired."

"Oh—don't even say that, Ron," Hermione pleaded. "We're going to go console Hagrid during the execution. Do you want to come, Lainey?"

"Well, I don't really want to watch Buckbeak be executed, but—" I paused, taking in a deep breath. "—I'll come. When does it begin?"

"In a few minutes," Harry told me. "We're just about to head over there."

"I'll meet you guys down there," I said as I stood up from my seat. "I'm going to go give Malfoy a piece of my mind first."

Before any of them could reply, I stalked out of the Great Hall, ready to hunt down Draco Malfoy. I couldn't believe he was just going to let this poor creature be killed because of his stupid "broken" arm. He enraged me. I hated him. I hated him...

When I got to the Slytherin common room, I found Malfoy talking to a group of third years, as usual, so I stomped over toward them, pushing through the crowd to get to him. I whipped my wand out of my pocket and slammed it into his neck before he even realized I was there.

"You murderer!" I roared as he stumbled back into the wall.

"I didn't kill anyone!" he cried, his face contorted in a grimace.

"They are going to kill that hippogriff! The one that attacked you because you were being your rude, arrogant self! And it's all your fault! I should blow your brains out for your complete disregard for any life besides your own!"

"Get away from Draco!" Pansy shrilled from behind me. I ignored her completely as I glared into Malfoy's eyes. There was a glint of fear in them—a glint of pain.