Chapter 12 : Summer

Note: In case you've forgotten about her family, Lyle is her twin brother (12 years old), Evan is 13 years old, and Garren is 18 years old.

After all of the craziness in my first year at Hogwarts, I was relieved to go home and spend some nice, relaxing time with my family. I couldn't call it relaxing, though, necessarily; my brothers and I were always doing something. Whether we were playing pranks on each other, playing pranks on random strangers, playing football (soccer) in the backyard, or going into town to cause some trouble, there was always something wild going on.

One afternoon, we were playing a game of football, Evan and I against Lyle and Garren. I played best with Lyle on my team, but Evan and Garren constantly fought, and Evan and Lyle were way too competitive with each other, so I was the only one who could play adequately with Evan.

"Okay, we're already up 4-2, but Garren's too solid of a defense. I want you to take him out," Evan told me as we huddled up on our side of the yard.

I blinked before crossing my arms. "You want me to take out Garren? Are you unaware that he is probably three times my size?"

"Yeah, but you're...you're a witch," he hissed. "Just use that little wooden stick to knock him out or something."

I snorted. "I'm not going to cheat, Evan. But if you're so keen on competing with Lyle, I think I can take on Garren."

Evan patted me on the back before turning to our other brothers. "That's my girl. Let's kill 'em."

My eyebrows jumped sarcastically as I stood up straight and faced our opposition. A sly smirk spread across Garren's face as I narrowed my eyes at him. Evan had his foot on the ball, and Lyle was standing right in front of him, ready to snatch it. Tension was rising as we all waited for Evan to make his move, but before he could, the sliding door to the house slid open.

"Hey—um—Lainey," my father called out to us, a look of uncertainty on his face. "You have a visitor."

We all turned our attention toward the doorway, where my father stood with a young, brunette girl beside him.

My lip curled upward as my eyebrows slanted in confusion. "Astoria?"

"It's me!" she squealed before running over to me.

"Holy crap—hot girl—" Evan stammered before the soccer ball slid out from under him and he fell onto his back. Lyle and Garren were laughing hysterically as Evan scrambled to his feet.

"Hey, Dad, can you fill in for me?" I asked him as Astoria nearly suffocated me in a hug.

"Aw dammit," Evan complained loudly. "Dad sucks."

"Hey, watch your mouth," my father tried to scold as he pointed in Evan's direction.

I grabbed Astoria's arm and began to pull her back toward the house as the four males commenced the game.

"What are you doing here?" I questioned in a hushed tone. "You really didn't seem like you were going to miss me when you didn't even say goodbye to me when we left Hogwarts last month?"

"Oh, well, I wouldn't really say that I've missed you. I just wanted to come meet your family. You said you had three brothers, and I wanted to meet them," Astoria explained, peeking over my shoulder to get a look at the boys. "And dang, am I glad I came."

I rolled my eyes dramatically. "You came here to drool over my brothers? Really?"

"Um, yes, they are hot, Lainey," she insisted, still staring at my brothers. Lyle had the ball now, and he easily weaved around my father to shoot and score a goal.