Chapter 29 : Summer

Apparently I had no choice but to go to the Quidditch World Cup. I would have gone even if Fred hadn't threatened me with Dungbombs, of course, but his warning did give me a greater inclination to attend. Since neither my father nor I knew where "The Burrow" was, I decided that the best method of transportation would be via the Floo Network. I'd bought some Floo Powder during my trip to Diagon Alley, though I'd advised my brothers against using it while I was away. Who knew what would happen to Muggles that tried to travel by Floo Network...

After a day well spent with just my brothers (and no girlfriends), a long dinner with the entire family, and a few tears shed by my father, I gathered my belongings and crouched into our small fireplace.

Clearing my throat, I held my hand full of Floo Powder over my head and exclaimed, "The Burrow!"
I'd only traveled by Floo Network one other time—when Malfoy and I went to Diagon Alley last winter—and this time was equally as nauseating. My head was spinning as I whizzed past multiple fireplaces, nearly getting my trunk stuck in a few of them. I barely slowed down before shooting out of the Weasleys' fireplace and skidding with my trunk across the wooden floor.

When I blinked my eyes open and looked up, I saw two identical faces hovering above me.

"Greetings, Lainey," they said in unison.

"H—hey guys," I replied hoarsely as I tried to sit up.

"That was some entrance, Fitz," Fred commented as he stretched out his hand to help me up. Gingerly, I took it, feeling a slight tingle with his hand on mine. I brushed past it as George began to speak.

"You nearly knocked over the kitchen table."

"Truly inspiring, really," Fred added.

"Oh—I'm so—wait." I paused, looking around their kitchen to see that it was void of any furniture at all. No table, no chairs—"There is no table in here! George!"

The mischievous twin flashed a grin as Fred picked up my large trunk.

"C'mon, Fitz," he beckoned roughly. "We'll show you up to Ginny's room."

"Don't be foolish, Fred," Percy said coldly as he stepped in through the front door. Out the window I saw lights and people in the yard; it looked like they'd been having dinner out in the garden. "You'll make such a ruckus if you try to carry that thing all the way up the stairs. I'll just Apparate it up there."

"Oh, I'm Perfect Percy—I work for the Ministry and I can Apparate," Fred mocked as he grumpily handed the trunk over to Percy, who had a permanent scowl on his face.

"Oh—and hello, Lainey," Percy greeted, ignoring Fred's comment. "Nice to see you again."
Before I could come up with a response, Percy completely disappeared, bringing my trunk with him.  

I stared at the empty space where Percy had been, unsure of what to think. The twins read the expression on my face and began to chuckle.

"You probably don't even know what Apparition is," George teased.

"So young, Fitz, so ickle," Fred said, shoving my shoulder playfully.

I glared at him, crossing my arms before I responded. "Where is everyone else? Are Harry and Hermione here as well?"

"Lainey!" a voice cried from the front door. I looked over to see that Ginny had just entered, and she darted toward me at full speed, crashing into me with a hug. "Finally! Oh—thank goodness—I've missed you so much!"