Chapter 96 : Year 5

The fanart for this chapter was made by https://www.quotev.com/Daryldixonlover and it's so amazing! It can also be seen on her DeviantArt profile ( https://titania0323.deviantart.com/art/This-is-the-Fate-of-Lainey-Fitzroy-636375861 ) and she has a lot of other great fanart on there that I plan to use in future chapters (:

"So, this is who you were trying to kill. Not sure who he is but you seem to have done a decent job."

My eyelids closed slowly, and when I opened them again, Darrin's body was still lying on the floor of my dormitory. The sly voice that I'd barely heard from behind me belonged to the purple-haired person that smoothly stepped into view. 

"What? You've never seen a dead person before?" she mocked, raising her purple eyebrows at me. "Oh, but of course you have. Diggory, your father, Lyle—even though there wasn't a body left—that ass-hat Voldemort..."

"I-I killed him," I stammered, my wide eyes fixed on the unmoving body. "I didn't mean to kill him—I didn't want to kill him—"

"Really? Well, now I'm intrigued. Who did you want to kill?" Melody asked as she leaned casually on the bunk bed post.

"Just—stop—stop acting like this is okay—this is not okay!" I exclaimed with pure panic. "We need to—we need to get him out of here—and we need to get him help—but no one can know it was me—"

"Of course you wouldn't even want to own up to your first kill," she droned with an eye roll. "Pathetic."

"I didn't—I didn't mean to kill him! No one can know I have poisoned candies, Melody. No one can know that—wait... Did you tell Slughorn that I made the poison in class?"

"No," she said with a snort. "I've made far worse potions than your dumb Drink of Death. Why, did he find out?"

"Never mind," I answered hastily as I regained my ability to move and hurried over to Darrin. Touching his skin was unnerving, especially when I found he had no pulse. "Oh—oh God, he really is dead."

"You were hoping he was alive?" she questioned with a mocking laugh. "Why are you so frazzled? Was he your new boyfriend?"

"He's a dead person!" I hissed incredulously. "He's a student—and he's dead—and I killed him—and we're at school—and I'm going to be expelled and go to Azkaban—"

"Give it a rest," Melody groaned as she stomped over to where I crouched beside Darrin. "No matter how much of a pain you are, I'm not letting you go to Azkaban. You don't deserve to be there anyway. You're too pathetic and good. I'd have to go with you to keep you alive, and I don't plan to become a prisoner there for at least five more years."

Before I could fathom a thought, she grabbed hold of Darrin's ankles and hoisted him off the ground.

"Are you going to help me?" she questioned with impatience. "This dead guy is so fat that I don't even think my levitation spell will hold him up."

I gritted my teeth, grunting through them as I hoisted Darrin's heavy body off the ground by his arms. "He's—not—that—fat."

Melody's green eyes glared at me as though she was summoning her Target Knife, but luckily I wasn't stabbed, and the two of us managed to hull Darrin's body out of our room and into the corridor. She dropped his legs carelessly, forcing me to drop his arms as well.

"Melody!" I shouted in a whispered tone.

"Yes?" she prompted at a normal speaking level. "What do you want from me? He's dead."