Chapter 110 : Summer

The amazing artwork for this chapter was made by https://www.quotev.com/PandoraPennywing and I love it so much

Unlike in all of the Muggle romances, the fact that Draco Malfoy slept in my bed with me did not prevent my brain from producing further nightmares. Instead of dreaming about my dead loved ones, however, I dreamt that Draco transformed into a giant white ferret and then ate me. I sincerely hoped that the dream had no psychic reality to it.

I awoke in the morning to the faint sound of Draco's snoring. He was lying on the bed next to me still, his mouth hanging open as light seeped in through the window and illuminated his platinum blond hair. His hand was clasped firmly around my upper arm; it tightened every few seconds as his entire body would tense and his face would grimace. Apparently, my presence had not quenched his nightmares either.

Without even looking at the ancient clock hanging on my wall, I knew that I'd woken up late. The sun was up high in the dreary sky, hidden by faint grey clouds, and I'd been hoping to sneak out of the Manor before others were awake to notice. As discreetly as I could, I attempted to shimmy out of Draco's grasp and slide out of the bed, but as soon as my arm was out of his clutches, his snoring abruptly stopped and he spasmed into consciousness.

"Where are you going?" his groggy voice blurted as his face scrunched and his eyes struggled to see.

"Um...to make you breakfast," I lied in the most cheerful voice I could muster. Apparently this was the wrong thing to say, however, because his eyes flew open and he glowered at me.

"You should have just said you're sneaking off to find your Weaselbee and I would have believed you."

I froze where I was suspended, half off the bed and half on, trying not to let the guilt surface in my expression.

"I've heard rumors that they're having a wedding today, the Weasleys," Draco pressed on as he propped himself up on his elbows. "I knew you'd want to go. I'm assuming that's what you were writing to him about yesterday?"

My lips twisted, but I knew he would see through any lie that I procured. This wedding might have been a trap set by Harry or the Order, and I wasn't certain that Fred would even be there, but I was determined to risk my life to see the ones I loved again.

"You can't tell anyone," I pleaded as I sat fully on my bed and implored Draco with my eyes. "This might...I mean...with the way things are going, this might be the last time I ever see him—or any of them. I just want to...say goodbye. And then, after that..." I inhaled, avoiding his eyes, "after that I'll be done with them. All of them."

Draco studied me with cold eyes for a moment before nodding. "You're sick today, then, aren't you?" My brow furrowed, so he added, "You aren't feeling well. And I'll make sure no one comes in to check on you. You've got a mild case Scrofungulus and you're even more disgusting than you usually are."

Though I rolled my eyes at his jab, I could keep the smirk off of my lips as I stood from the bed. "I suppose I am. Thank you," I added in a whisper. He merely continued to scowl at me as I swiftly grabbed my small handbag and scurried out of the room.

Since I was still in my black pajamas, I slipped into a vacant bathroom down the hall and changed into the lacy black dress that I'd stuffed into my small black purse, which I'd once enchanted to be almost bottomless. The dress's sleeves were long enough to cover my Dark Mark, though I hoped that the Polyjuice Potion that Hermione had concocted would be efficient in temporarily erasing it. For a few hours, it would be nice to pretend that I wasn't a scumbag.

I was fortunate enough to descend the stairs into the foyer without encountering a single person. The black boots I wore were much quieter than heels would have been, but I still feared that someone might be attracted to the noise I made as I jogged down the steps. I'd nearly reached the front door undetected when the sound of my name suddenly rang through the high ceilinged foyer. Alarmed, I came to a full halt and slowly spun my head around, only to be relieved by the sight of Astoria Greengrass. She wore a thin pink nightgown now and plush pink slippers. Her hair was in a crazed mess and her makeup was smeared, but she still sashayed through the foyer with an aura of dignity.