Chapter 20 : Year 2

The next two months went by in a flash, and before I knew it, we were on the train back home for the winter holiday. Instead of sitting with the rest of the Slytherins, Melody, Ashley, and I decided to get our own compartment, which was where we were currently seated. As usual, Melody was reading some mysterious book, and Ashley was ranting on about her brother.

"I think I'll be able to beat him at putting the most ornaments on the Christmas tree this year," she insisted. "He does have a height advantage over me, but I am way more enthusiastic about it."

"Clearly," I replied flatly.

"Just shut up!" we heard someone yell from outside of the compartment. Melody didn't even look up. "I am not fat, and I am definitely not ugly! You're just jealous!"

The door to our compartment flew open, and a very angry Astoria stomped in, taking her seat violently next to Ashley.

"Ugh, I just hate Daphne!" she fumed, crossing her arms over her chest. "She is like—worse than a bad hair day!"

"Wow, that's bad," Melody commented with dry sarcasm.

"Lainey would know," Astoria went on. "She has bad hair days every day."

I pressed my lips together and nodded. "Thank you for reminding me that my life is horrible, Astoria. So kind."

"Don't give me that sass, Lainey," she snapped irritably. "I am coming home with you for the holiday, you know."

I let out a sarcastic laugh. "That's funny, Astoria."

"I'm serious," she insisted, and my face fell a bit with her words. "I already talked to your father about it. Daphne is just too ghastly to spend a whole two weeks with. Evan, on the contrary, isn't ghastly at all."

My jaw dropped as I narrowed my eyes at her. "You're coming home with me to see my brother?"

Astoria shrugged, glancing down at her nails. "You say it like it's a bad thing."

"When can I meet your brothers?" Ashley questioned. "I want to know more Muggles than Adrian does. Considering he doesn't know any Muggles, and I don't know any Muggles, if I meet only one of your brothers, I could beat him. Which one is the best looking?"

"Evan. He's dreamy, and he's mine," Astoria replied matter-of-factly.

"I don't see why any of you want to meet Muggles," Melody droned, finally looking up. "Especially if they're Fitzroy's brothers. They're probably just as appalling as she is."

I coughed obnoxiously. "Thank you, Melody."

"Well, hello, girls," Ryan Harper greeted smoothly as he and Vince Anderson slid the compartment door open. "Melody, looking just as stunning as usual."

"Go to hell, Harper," she drawled before looking back down at her book.

"Move over, Mudblood," Harper commanded as he began to push me toward the side of the seat so he could sit in the middle between Melody and I.

"And I'll just take a seat next to the beautiful Astoria," Anderson announced slyly as he sat down on the other side of the compartment.

Astoria rolled her eyes, squirming away from him. "Please, Anderson. I like a hot Muggle. A hot older Muggle."

"Please don't say that about my brother," I groaned, curled up against the wall as Harper was trying to completely push me out of the bench.