Chapter 37 : Year 3

"I still can't believe you didn't snog Cedric," Astoria said to me as we stood in the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. The third years had D.A.D.A right before the fourth years did, so I often saw Astoria, Ashley, Melody, and Ginny while I was on my way in and they were on their way out.

"I saw him in the hallway this morning, and I almost snogged him for you," she went on. It had been over a week since my midnight meeting with Cedric, yet it was all that Astoria wanted to talk about. "Honestly, he's a hunk."

I stifled a laugh as Ashley nodded frivolously. "A Quidditch hunk," she added.

"C'mon, you two mindless bozos," Melody grunted with a nasally tone. Her tired eyes and sallow face were still focused on the book in her arms. "Let's get out of here before you two drool everywhere."

"Are you still sick, Melody?" I taunted, raising my eyebrows at her. Even if this was the only time she was ever sick in her entire life, I'd never let it go. She constantly berated people for being sick, as if it were solely their fault.

"Shut it, Mudblood," she sneered, glaring up at me. "You're always sick, you dirty, diseased, nasty...gross..."

Unable to finish her sentence, Melody looked back down at her book before stalking out of the room. Astoria and Ashley followed quickly behind, both still enthusing about Cedric's good looks.

"Lainey," Ryan Harper prompted as he and Vince Anderson walked by. "Can you—like—cure Melody for me? I've been avoiding her for almost a week and it's torture—at this point I think I'd rather just catch her disease than be away from her for so long."

"I thought you were moving on from Melody to get with her little sister?" I questioned, cocking my head to the side.  

"She's still young though...and I don't really want another black eye, so..."

Anderson snickered maliciously as Harper elbowed him in the gut. He wasn't laughing after that.

"Well, even if I did know how to cure Melody, I wouldn't. She probably just has a cold, and besides, she deserves it—"

"Don't you say that," Harper snapped, pointing his finger in my face. His features softened immediately as he lowered his hand. "You probably are right, though..."

I laughed to myself as Harper and Anderson exited the room. Most of the fourth years had arrived by now, so I took my seat next to Malfoy, who had a mischievous grin on his face.

"What are you so happy about?" I asked skeptically, furrowing my brow.

"You really don't know? Pathetic, Mudblood," he snorted, shaking his head. "Well, since you're so daft, I'm going to come up with the most ridiculous lie to explain why I'm so pleased—like, I just love to look at your face, it's so beautiful."

I rolled my eyes, leaning back in my chair. "I'm not daft enough to believe that. Honestly, Malfoy, you'll have to come up with something a little bit better."

"How about...I constantly want to snog you?" he offered, his eyebrows jumping as his smirk held strong.

I coughed violently, grabbing my throat dramatically. "Well—that is arguably even less believable. Try again."

"Hm...I fancy you?" he mocked with a hint of malice.

"Horribly unbelievable. Honestly, the worst lie so far—"