Chapter 45 : Year 3

About another week went by, in which I was swamped with so much homework that I barely talked to anyone but Harper, who was the only person willing to suffer through Arithmancy assignments with me. We both failed an Arithmancy test, which Malfoy harassed only me for ("At least Harper's not a Mudblood"), but he had nothing to say to me in D.A.D.A., where I got a perfect mark on our latest practical exam.  

I was relieved when the weekend finally came, not just because I didn't have to spend every waking hour in the library, but also because we would be going on our second trip to Hogsmeade. This time, instead of enduring a trip to Gladrags with Astoria and Ashley, Melody, Harper, Anderson, and I went right over to Zonko's Joke Shop, where I planned to buy a belated birthday gift for my twin brother.

"I have the perfect idea," Anderson proclaimed as we walked into the shop. As expected, Melody sat down on the bench near the entrance to read, while the two boys and I browsed around. "Buy a bunch of Dungbombs and set them off in the package you send him, so that when he opens it he's just bombarded by—"

"Okay—no. That's a horrible idea. You think I hate my brother?" I questioned, raising an eyebrow skeptically.

"He's a Muggle—who doesn't hate him?" Anderson insisted as though his statement was logic.
I almost replied "Melody," but then Harper was standing next to me, and I really couldn't crush his dreams so cruelly...

Harper and Anderson ended up finding these flying skateboards, which they spent forever ogling over, so eventually I ditched them to go look around by myself. As I was looking at some magical quills (which I knew Lyle would never use), I felt two people pop up on either side of me. I assumed it was just Harper and Anderson, but they were standing very close to me, and they were quite tall...

"Bloody hell—" I blurted, jumping back when I looked to my side and saw two identical redheads surrounding me. The Weasley twins both flashed grins as I held my hand over my fast-beating heart. "Seriously—you guys couldn't have—said something?"

"Of course not, Fitz—"

"We wanted to scare you—"

"Your reaction was priceless."

I shook my head, gingerly placing the Spellchecking Quill back on the shelf between the boys. "Lovely—thank you. Hey, I'm sorry I ditched the party so early last week. It was—er—really nice of you guys to throw it for me."

"Any time, Fitz," Fred replied, casually leaning on the shelf behind him.

"We think Lee enjoyed it the most, though," George added, his eyebrows jumping impishly.

"Oh yeah—Lee couldn't even talk to anyone until classes on Monday—"

"And even then he was dazed."

I let out a laugh, thinking back to how drunk Lee Jordan had been at that party last weekend. "Hey—Fred, I almost forgot that you were going to give me that picture—until Astoria somehow broke into the common room—"

"Well, Fitz, you ran out on me, so now you'll just have to wait until next year to receive your gift," he replied, crossing his arms as he eyed me tauntingly. "Maybe your fifteen-year-old self will appreciate precious moments with Fred Weasley more than your fourteen-year-old self does."

My mouth fell open as I fumbled for words. "I do—I just—I—well—um—"

The twins looked at each other with amusement as I stuttered like a babbling child.