Chapter 64 : Year 4

To Professor Sprout's great disappointment, I didn't even attempt to mimic Umbridge in Herbology that afternoon. My mind was brooding with what Malfoy had said about his father "putting in a good word for me" with Umbridge. Why would he do that? As far as I knew, Lucius Malfoy hated me, though the fact that he knew of my Gaudium blood could have changed him, just like it seemed to change his son...

With Umbridge's detention at five, I didn't have much time to eat dinner, though I did swing by the Great Hall to grab some fruit on my way. As I walked back out into the entrance hall, an apple in hand, Fred and George Weasley came bumbling down the stairs, grinning feverishly the moment they spotted me.

"Well, good evening, High Inquisitor," Fred greeted as he and his twin stepped up in front of me. I took a bite of the apple in my hand, eyeing them both drolly.

"How was your day as Umbridge?" George questioned slyly. "Does Gryffindor have negative points yet?"

I snorted as I chewed. "Wouldn't be surprised. I think I managed to make McGonagall smile, which is a rarity. Flitwick giggled, and I had a horde of students trying to follow me around. Most importantly, though, I finally got Umbridge to crack. She took five points from Slytherin, and I have another detention tonight."

Though the twins were beaming at the fact that Umbridge had taken points from Slytherin, they both immediately frowned when I informed them of detention.

"You have detention with Umbridge?" Fred questioned flatly, displeasure etched in his tone.

I bit my lip as I looked between the twins. "Yes...but I'm actually excited for it. I have a plan—one I think you two might be proud of—"

"We heard what Umbridge has been doing to students during detention," George injected sourly. "We forced Ron to tell us."

My face fell as I gripped the apple tighter in my hand. "It's...not a big deal—"

"Oh, it's a big deal," Fred insisted, narrowing his eyes. "We're not going to let that old crackpot use her medieval torture methods on you."

"She already has," I replied stiffly. "It's no matter. Pain doesn't perturb me, and I'm not about to let a little bit of detention deter me from this rivalry I've begun—"

"Fitz, you can't allow this—"

"It's child cruelty—"

"I never said I agree with her methods, nor do I enjoy them, but seeing as there's nothing I can do about it, I'll go give Harry some company in detention tonight, and possibly give Umbridge a bit of hell while I'm there."

Grimacing, Fred eyed me with concern, but did not object. "Hermione says she's got some serum that'll help heal your hand...once it's over... You can come by the Gryffindor common room with Harry after, if you'd like."

A bit of excitement welled in my chest at his invitation, though I didn't get a chance to respond before Angelina Johnson came bouldering out of the Great Hall.

"Fred, George!" she exclaimed as she approached us. "Quidditch practice tonight. Go eat up and then let's get to it. We're already going to be missing Potter because he's gotten himself another detention—don't need you two skipping out as well."

"Angelina's been given the position of Captain," George whispered loudly to me. "She's taking it very seriously—"

"I have to take it seriously, since no one else is!" she exploded agitatedly. "Have either of you seen your sister? I wanted to have Harry train her tonight, but I think I'm just going to have her practice on her own... She'll need to be fully prepared to play, considering Harry will probably end up missing matches because of detention... Any of you seen her?"