Chapter 97 : Year 5

The awesome artwork for this chapter was made by https://www.quotev.com/sophiesophiewinters .

"I can't believe you fertilized Melody's Jewelweed for her," I griped to Harper as we left the greenhouse after Herbology. September had passed, and the trees on the grounds now held different hues of reds, oranges, and yellows. The early October air was brisk as we crossed the courtyard toward the entrance hall, and I considered that maybe it was time to bring out Fred's Gryffindor scarf, but then...I shouldn't have bothered to consider it at all...

"Of course I fertilized her Jewelweed for her," Harper retorted in offense. "She's my girl now, Lay."

"Hm," was all I could manage to grunt. Somehow, over the past few weeks, Harper and Melody had remained an item, and my heart was decaying into bitterness because of it. She attended all of our Quidditch practices—which were every evening because of Urquhart's determination to win—and even though she simply read in the stands the whole time, I knew that she was there to "support" Harper. Since Malfoy had skipped more than half of our practices, Harper was basically our frontline Seeker, and since he was atrocious at flying, Urquhart was greatly displeased.

"Don't be so grumpy. You chose to break up with Weasley, and you're choosing not to date Mal—"

"Don't talk to me about my love life, okay?" I snapped agitatedly as we stepped into the castle. Anderson and Ashley were far ahead of us, debating about professional Quidditch teams, while Astoria, like Melody, had skipped class. Melody most likely skipped because she simply didn't feel like going, but Astoria, even after a month, was still too busy sulking to attend half of her classes.

"Fine, then, I'll talk to you about my love life," Harper insisted as his eyebrows shot up at me.

I rolled my eyes. "I don't think you have a love life—"

"I'm in love with Melody, and therefore I have a love life," he informed me with a puffed up chest. "It's just...a confusing one. I never really know how to act with her, you know? Like sometimes when I try to do something a bit risky she thinks it's bold and hot and we have great sex—but then sometimes when I try something new, her eyes go black and she tries to bite my balls off."

My expression was twisted with contempt as I avoided looking in his direction. "Well, Harper, I'm flattered that you feel comfortable enough with me to divulge your personal thoughts, but I'm really not interested in anything regarding your sex life. You shouldn't even have a sex life. We are fifteen."

"Melody's almost sixteen," he corrected, sounding very much like a child know-it-all.

"Basically the same thing."

"What do I do though?" he questioned desperately. "How do I make her fall in love with me?"

"I don't want to hear about it—"

"Should I just use a protection charm so she can't bite me—"

"Don't wanna talk about it—"

"But I still want her to touch me so that might not work—"

"Shut up—"

"But maybe she likes what's hard to get—"

"Stop talking!" I exclaimed as I grabbed his collar and shoved him into the wall of the entrance hall. Eyes were on us, but the only ones that I cared about were his big blue ones, staring at me in alarm. My wand was out, I noticed, and I was holding it to his neck. "Do not talk to me about what you do with Melody Flemming," I said, enunciating each word carefully.