Return and Recycle

(18 days later)

  Katie walked through the door. Everyone cheered and clapped. She returned home. Livy and I clapped and cheered. Her relatives surrounded her. Livy and I said good bye to her and left her with her family. "So," I say, holding the door for Livy. "you think she'll be okay?"
  "Of course." She replied. Her mom waited in her car outside. She slipped inside and waved goodbye to me.
  I giggled and waved back.  I stepped onto the common and started walking home. I started walking past the beautiful oak tree when a boy popped out in front of me. I recognised his freckled face anywhere.
  "Cooper." I say, placing a hand on my chest. My heart when a little uneasy when he startled me.
  He wrapped his arms around me. "I couldn't talk to anyone about life for three weeks." I giggled when he released me. "When then."
  He grabbed my hand, but I pulled it away. "I won't leave you again. I know you missed me."
  I shook my head and felt my face get hot. "Yeah, okay." I rolled my eyes.
  He poked my side and I slapped shoulder. "Oh and I forgot to mention in my letter. That I've been having dreams too. The first one came true. Not the second." He smiled
"So I'm not alone." I shook my head. "This summer is getting more instense then I thought it would be." I let out a sigh.
"The dreams, the hate, the death. It's all real. It just, doesn't feel that way."
"You left out love. That's real too."
I smiled. I didn't slap him this time.
"Thank god we didn't use those guns." I joke. He just smirked. His face turned red.
"Yeah, good thing. We would have missed a hell of a lot."
"Summers almost over any ways."
  We crossed the street. I said goodbye to him and he went towards the library, where I assume his dad will be waiting for him.
  He was just one of the reasons I wake up. Katie, Livy, my dad, Madelyn, Pat, Andy and even Chris and Joey. They were reasons I woke up.
I walked into the house. I headed towards the kitchen to take out the recycling.
  I grabbed the bottles and boxes and walked to the back room. From there I proceeded to the deck. I dropped everything when I saw Cooper down on one knee.
  "Holy-" I stopped myself when I put my hand over my mouth.
  "Cooper, you know we're to young to get married right?"
  He nodded. "Yeah but that's not what I was going to ask you."
  I put my hand on my chest and sighed in relief. "Thank God." I whisper.
  He pulled out a small, black box and opened it.
  "Violet Hanna Dobson, will you promise your friendship to me for the rest of your life?"
  The box held a small, silver ring. The word, promise, was scripted across the ring.
  I thought for a second. "Wait, how did you know I was going to take out the recycling?"
  His eyes widened. "Well, I just know things. Ok now, yes or no?"
  I smiled when his face turned deep red. "Okay."
  "Okay what?"
  "I will."
  "So yes?"
  "Yes!"
  "She said yes!"
  He slipped the ring on my wedding finger and hugged me. I bit my lip looking at it after he pulled away.
  My insides bubbled. What would I tell my dad when he asks?
  "What's wrong?" He asked, realising I had a concentrated look on my face.
  "Nothing." I choked back the words.
  "No. Somethings wrong. You make that look when your thinking and when you think...it's not always the best thing."
  I looked at him with fear in my eyes. "My dad is going to kill you."
  "So? I really like hanging out with you V. Please. Tell him and we can work things out."
I shook my head. "It won't work that way." I picked up the recycling and headed for the bin. I dumped the stuff in as Cooper spoke.
   "We can make things work. That's what life is about, making things work!"
  "Cooper, life isn't an invention." (Side note: Cooper wants to be an inventor)
  "Cooper, life isn't studying hard to make things better. It's not like your parents say."
  Coop shook his head. "I'll meet you at the library tomorrow. I got to go." He gave me one last hug and left.
  I went back inside and texted Livy and Katie about what happened. The last thing I typed was: Do I like Cooper?

See Livy's side of the story in omorin734 's book, Friends for Life