The Heartbreak

Sitting outside on my porch waiting for the rain to pass by, I opened my thoughts up. It wasn’t exactly something new to me; sitting around thinking was far from the usual. This week had been a sorry excuse for the first week of summer vacation. I couldn’t really accomplish anything I had intended to do with the rain. Not that I had anything to really do to begin with, but the rain was a setback.

            I’m starting to feel as if this weather just loves to match my shitty mood lately. Sitting on a porch in an unknown neighborhood wasn’t exactly a start for a great summer. At least not for me, I had just recently moved, the week school had let out. It was perfect timing for my parents, yet the worst timing in my teenage life.

            I had to move to another state, just because my parents wanted a change of scenery. Coming from Texas, to Pennsylvania was a change of scenery. It wasn’t one I had preferred, but it was the one my parents had wanted. I didn’t exactly want to move, my life was at its peak, I repeat, was. Now not so much, I planned on an amazing summer before my senior year, with my best friends of course.

            I had everything I could want in Texas, the best friends, the tan, the great school, and perfect weather. Yet I’m stuck here on a porch, with not a soul in sight. I would get over it, in fact I kind of was. I’m not one to hold a grudge, and I understood my parents completely. It was just an inconvenience to me. I didn’t know anyone, and I didn’t know my surroundings either.

            “MEEEEEEEEL” a loud voice had shouted from inside.

            I practically jumped out of my chair, quickly disrupted from my thoughts.  “Yeah mom, relax, I’m coming.” I replied rather irritably.

            I left my comfortable spot, and walked into my house, straightening my shorts and combing my fingers through myhair. I proceeded to walkinto the kitchen, it was a beautiful kitchen, not big, yet perfect in my opionon. The walls were an off white, lined with light brown oak cabinets. In the middle of the kitchen set an island matching the cabinets. The counters had been lavished with a black marble top, creating a contrast in color from the pearl white tile floor.

            It may not have been a top chef kitchen, but it was elegant enough for my family. It just seemed to fit in with all of our personalities, there may not have been much to it but when you looked at it you felt like you had all you needed.

I walked over and sat at the island looking at my mother. She had long brown hair, it was always dead straight, no matter what she did with it. Her skin was not unlike mine in the texture, she had the perfect tan. Her eyes were the lightest blue, rimmed around the edges with a light brown. Occasionally when she was home she would wear her light black glasses, but today she had slipped on her contacts. She wasn’t a very tall woman; she only stood about 5’5”, with the perfect figure. She didn’t look a day over thirty; her face was free from crow’s feet or any signs of aging.

 My mother stood over the stove pulling out a tray of cookies. She knew my weakness, but she was going to ask me a huge favor. Brave woman.

            “These are for you.” My mother started, “but I need you to do something as well.”

I warned you didn’t I? Now here comes the tedious task. Good thing she made me cookies, that would be the only plus.

            I sat at one of the counter chairs, and watched her shift slightly on her feet, looking rather uncomfortable. Which is unusual for her, she’s pretty bold and one of the most outgoing people you could meet.

            “What’s up mom? Stop acting all weird and get it over with.” I replied taking a chocolate chip cookie and letting it melt in my mouth.

            “Okay well I want you to take this next batch to the neighbors okay? I hear they have a boy your age, and I think it would be a good idea to make friends with him “You know?” She smiled warmly and pushed her long dark brown hair out of her face.

            I honestly didn’t really have an option in the case, she wanted it to sound like she wasn’t demanding anything, but in truth she was. I thought the task would be harder, but apparently not. I shrugged my shoulders and swallowed the cookie I had in my mouth.

            “Sure, let me get changed and I will be back down in a few minutes, then I will go meet the neighbor boy.”

            She nodded in approval, as I thought she would. I made my way upstairs to my room. I pushed my door open, and closed it behind me. My room was neat and clean, not like most teenagers rooms would be. I liked my room to be organized, I hate having to find something when I needed it and then not knowing where it was. My carpet had been a light beige, like the color of sand. My walls were painted in a light ocean blue. Everything else in my room was a shade of light brown or an off white. I wanted my room to represent somewhere peaceful, so I took one of my favorite childhood memories, the ocean.

 I grabbed a pair of jean shorts and a striped shirt from my closet. I then looked into the mirror, not disappointed in my appearance either. I was tan, and had blonde hair; it was wavy and flowed past my shoulders. My eyes were a rare green with golden rims lining the edges, and my face was clear of acne. That was a plus.

            I quicklychangedinto my clothes, and took my hair down; I brushed it through before leaving. I jogged down my steps only to be met by my mother already standing there.

            “You look nice; here are the cookies, the neighbors in the brown house okay?” She said while shoving meout the door, after handing me the cookies.

            Delightful woman isn’t she? I looked around to spot which house was brown, and it wasn’t too complicated to figure out. Our neighborhood had exactly four houses on the block, and the closest house was brown. Bynow the rain had stopped, and I was grateful for that much. I walked across the street and climbed the porch stairs and knocked on the wooden door.

            I stood outside the door and looked around inspectingthe house. I was pretty impressed with what I saw. The owners had an in ground pool out back, nicely cut grass, and a spacious porch.

            The door swung open suddenly, interrupting my thoughts, and there stood the next door neighbors son.

Oh hot damn.