Chapter Twenty Eight

I opened my bedroom door and prepared myself for the next few hours’ events. I would either fix everything between Vince and I, or things would stay rather hostile. Hopefully things would be fixed, but it was hard to tell.

While jogging down my stairs I thought of possible things I could make that Vince would like. My mother just happened to be up and was sitting on the couch, which was odd. If she were going to be home she would be home after six. She goes into work early and comes home late, for her to be sitting here so casually was just odd.

“Uhm hey Mom.” I said as I sat beside her on the couch.

“What’s up honey?”

“Why are you home today?” I asked her.

It isn’t that I didn’t want my mom to be here, but I had things to do today and I didn’t want to leave her just sitting here for the rest of the day. That would be rude.

“My office is under some reconstruction at the moment so I have today off.” She said.

“Oh, well I have things planned today, I was going to meet up with some friends but if you want I can stay home with you.” I told her.

My mom turned to face me, and when I seen her face I realized she already had other plans made. She had put on some light eyeliner and used a light lilac purple eye shadow above it. Her eyelashes looked thick and full, and for the first time I noticed what she was wearing.

She had on dark blue jeans with studded black boots, her shirt was white with a bird design and over her shirt she threw on her light leather jacket. She let her hair down loose to cascade over her shoulders, which wasn’t something she normally did.

If I hadn’t known any better I would say my mother was attending her first day of high school. Gathering from how dressed up she actually was I realized she was going out. I wasn’t surprised that she had made friends quickly, or even had a few guys lined up for her. She was the definition of intelligent yet pretty.

“Don’t worry your old mother has found someone to entertain her while you are gone.” She replied with a hint of humor.

“With who, may I ask?”

Suddenly my mother started to blush slightly, and I knew she was spending the day out with Tristan. Even though I already knew she would be hanging out with Tristan I still wanted to tease her and see how much she really likes him.

“A friend.” She replied using her hair as a shield to cover her face.

“Would that friend happen to be Tristan?”  I questioned.

“It’s possible.” She said while trying to cover her blush.

I rolled my eyes at her embarrassment. “You can stop hiding your face, I know you like him or else you wouldn’t be dressed up, or wearing makeup.”

My mother huffed and looked over at me. “Fine I am meeting up with Tristan for another date; we will be out late tonight.”

I gave my mother a rather suggestive look and raised my eyebrows. Although I knew she would be mortified by what I was suggesting it was still fun to tease her.

“Mel! We will be sleeping in our beds tonight!” She said with a rather mortified expression on her face.

            Deciding I wanted to mess with her a bit more I pulled a serious face and said something that she wouldn’t expect. “You don’t have to do it in a bed that just happens to be the most convenient place.”

            My mother looked over at me and looked even more mortified than she had before. I couldn’t hold in my laughter anymore, I started laughing until tears came out of my eyes.