Chapter Twelve

After a few minutes Kate had called I went and ordered our Chinese food. Once I did that I sat back down and waited for Kate to arrive. She really wasn’t lying when she said she would be here in a few minutes, because not even ten minutes after our conversation she was knocking at my door. I tossed my head back and yelled.

            “Doors unlocked, just come in!” I was too lazy to even get up.

            She opened the door and shut it tightly behind her. She had her dark brown hair pulled up into a messy bun, with a pair of sweats on and a Black Veil Brides T shirt. I gestured for her to sit on the couch with me. She walked over and sat beside me, pulling her legs up, so she was facing me. The look on her face said I had about ten seconds to spill the details of the date before she killed me.

            “Alright I see that look you’re giving me, I will spill the beans okay?”

            “Well hurry!” She pressed.

            I shook my head. “Well Corey took me out bowling, and at first I was a little worried about bowling since I had only been bowling once before. HE taught me how to bowl pulling me t his chest and helping me throw the ball. We ended up having a great time; he then dropped me off back home.”

            “And what else?” She asked again.

            Kate clearly knew me to well already.

            “And before I got out of the car he grabbed my hand and pulled me close saying he had a great time, and said he hoped we could hang out again.”

            She still didn’t look satisfied enough; like she knew there was still something she wasn’t being told.

            I sighed again, “He then pecked my lips and said goodnight and then I went in my house, there satisfied?”

            She didn’t even look a half bit surprised, which I already expected from her. She did have a worried expression on her face and looked as if she was about to say something. The doorbell rang just as she was about to open her mouth. I got up grabbing the money I would need to pay the delivery man. I opened the door and collected our food before coming back in.

            I tossed her a small box and I grabbed my own box. I had taken a lucky guess at what she liked, and by her moaning I assumed she was enjoying it to. I smiled and dug in myself. For awhile we just sat there watching The Big Bang Theory and it was comforting. She didn’t ask any more questions, she just sat there and ate. We both finished though and I took our take out boxes and put them in the trash can. When I sat back down next to Kate she looked serious again.

            “Look” She said, “I just want you to be careful with these boys okay?” She looked dead serious.

            “I promise I will be okay?” I assured her. She knew them her whole entire life, and obviously knew something I didn’t.

            “It's just complicated okay? But please don’t fall for any of them, promise me?” She pleaded.

            Maybe the game was simpler than I thought it was, maybe it had to do with which one of them could get me to fall for them first. I was starting to understand her warning; she just didn’t know how well I was beginning to understand it.

            “I promise Kate, I won’t fall for any of them.”

            She looked a bit relieved before I asked, “Does that include your brother as well?”

            She looked surprised for second, and quickly masked her shock with a thoughtful face. She turned towards me and looked me dead in the eye.

            “Especially Vince, just don’t fall for any of them, they are no good for you.”

            From what I heard Vince had seemed too had been on my side, at least so I thought. Maybe he wanted me to believe that, with his own selfish reasons.

            “Alright, I have a question for you though.”

            “Yeah what’s up?” She asked.

            “Do you know who used to live her before me?”

            Kate had tensed; obviously she hadn’t expected me to want to know that.

            “Yeah.” She said, “Her name was Sophia Higgens.”

            I had heard the boys mention her name earlier, Sophia. The last girl that had apparently lived in this house and left. With that I had gotten an idea, it was a start to figuring this out.

            “Was she nice?”

            “She was really nice; we were all friends with her.” Kate began. “But it got complicated and she left.”

            Did she leave because of the boys? Was their game what had caused Sophia to pack up and move? It seemed odd that Kate didn’t mention why she left, or why she even got tense about the mention of Sophia.

            “Why did she leave Kate?”

            “I can’t tell you that, only she can, I promise though by the end of this month it will be clear to you.”

            I sighed again, rubbing my hands through my bangs.

            “But promise me, that by the end of the month you won’t be mad at me. I still want to be your friend, and I wouldn’t be doing this if I didn’t have to, okay?” Kate said while looking at me with all seriousness.

            “Alright I promise you, thank you though for the warning.”

            “I will be here for you, just remember not to fall for any of those boys.”

            I rolled my eyes with playfulness, but she knew I was taking it seriously.

            “I promise you, I won’t.” I told her.

            Her phone had beeped and she pulled it out of her pocket. She looked over at me apologetically.

            “Hey my parents want me home right now, I will talk to you later though, but I had fun. Let’s do this again sometime.” She got up to leave, and I got up to head out with her.

            We stopped at the door and hugged our goodbyes. “Thanks.” I whispered in her ear before letting go of her.

            She smiled and shut the door behind her. I locked the door and went to my kitchen to find the phone book. I went through our junk drawers and searched for the phone book everywhere. I had been looking in the last drawer when I found it. I quickly pulled it out and went down through the H column. I came upon a Higgins and right after Higgins Sophia’s name was listed.

            Bingo. I had found who I was looking for; I grabbed my cell phone and quickly put in her number. I had decided to give her a call later this week since it was getting late out already. Maybe she could help me figure out something about this game. I wasn’t overly excited because I knew she might not want t discuss why she left. I would understand that, but it wouldn’t me out that much.

            I went and slipped the phone book back in the drawer and decided to head upstairs to get some sleep. I plopped down on my bed with my covers pulled up over my face. I didn’t even have to toss or turn because I had quickly fallen asleep.