Chapter Three

Vince and I stood there awkwardly messing with our hands. I didn’t want to strike up a conversation with him first, only because he seemed pretty angry.

            “Uhm, well.... this is awkward.” He mumbled, running his hand through his black hair.

            “Only because you’re making it awkward.”

            “So what are we supposed to be the best of friends now because you’re my best friend’s new neighbor? Yeah not likely.” He replied angrily.

            Vince was what I would describe as your typical douche bag. “No I never asked for that, but I didn’t ask for you to be a dick either, I haven’t even done anything to you!” I yelled back.

            He stood to face me, and ended up towering over me. I looked up, and returned the heated glare he was throwing my way. “Why don’t you just go back where you came from princess?”

Oh hell no this kid did not just call me princess, I stood there angrily thinking.He had to be out of his mind, I had a temper of my own, and I wasn’t afraid to use it. I balled up my fists and took another step towards him. Closing in the distance between us I nearly growled.

            “Look I didn’t choose to be here now did I? I was forced here, I haven’t done a damn thing to you, and don’t call me a princess. Ever.

            He rolled his eyes. “Please look at yourself, you are a complete princess, spoiled and loves any kind of attention. You just look to perfect, just like a Barbie. No doubt your parents are rich. News flash, no one cares about money here, Princess.

            I blinked back my anger for a second. “You know nothing about me, so don’t think you know a damn thing. I am not spoiled, my life is not easy, and I am not a damn princess!” I threw back at him.

            “Like you would even know what a hard life is!” He laughed in my face.

            The next second he was on the ground and I was on top of him, I had pushed him onto the floor using all the strength I had. I was furious, and he needed to know that. The look in his eyes flashed to surprised before he went back to blank.

“Don’t start shit you can’t finish.” I pulled his collar up to meet my face. “Don’t you ever assume shit about me, you don’t know me, and quite frankly I like it better that way.”

With that I jumped up off of him and looked to my side. The bickering was gone, and there stood the four boys and Kate, just staring in awe at me. Apparently they had seen the whole thing, which didn’t surprise me in the least. Vince was still lying on the ground, with that blank look on his face. He got up, and pushed past me, heading up the stairs. I was assuming he would be leaving.

Kate smiled “Damn girl that was impressive, and funny, I haven’t seen anyone put him  in his place in awhile. He needed it.”

“Thanks.” I stood there awkwardly scratching the back of my neck. The guys all smiled apologetically at me.

“Don’t worry he will warm up to you.” Kaden said.

Well that was not likely to happen, seeing as he hates me nowhe hates me now. And to think we only met a few minutes ago. Lovely, I already have an enemy, I had embarrassed him and it was likely he would get back at me now.  

“Well I’m going to go back home, it was great meeting you guys, maybe we can hang out or something?” I finished.

“Yeah that’d be great! Here give us your phone, so we can put our numbers in it.” Mathew exclaimed.

A few minutes later we had all exchanged numbers, and I started heading home. They were all likely to be my best friends, except Vince. I wonder what his problem was, I  hated when people assumed I had a great and easy life, just because I dress nice. Yeah I may have nice clothing, but I wasn’t spoiled, and my life wasn’t easy.

Not that anyone needed to know that, ever! This was a new beginning for me, and I had to embrace it. It was something I could use. Before I had great friends at home, but they all pitied me over my loss. I couldn’t really live a happy life there, knowing what had happened, so I understand why my mom had us pack up and leave. Maybe I thought my life was great, but it wasn’t, I lied to myself about that part. It was the hardest thing in the world to wake up and live in the same house and the same neighborhood, without the person I needed the most there.

I shed a tear thinking back to the night when everything had happened, my family was broken apart, but now it was livable. I just wanted to forget my past, but it didn’t look like that was happening. I walked into the house, without being greeted by my step father. My mother was bound to be asleep, getting prepared to go back to work managing her own law firm. My step father already working late hours as a doctor. Neither of them were around too much anymore, but I let it slide, I didn’t mind. As long as they were happy, so was I. After all this is what my mother has worked so hard for, going back to college and earning her degree, then working her way from the bottom to the top.

I smiled lightly looking at the picture on my nightstand as I changed into pajamas. It was my mother, my little brother, and I. Before my brother had died, before I had nice clothes, and pretty hair. Daniel was only nine when he passed away, and I will never forget him. He was a brave child, and I wish he was here to see mom’s success. I wish he was here so I could smile and spoil him rotten, with a life he never had.

But I couldn’t, and that’s what hurt the most. After what happened with Daniel my mother had wanted to support us better, instead of living in a small shack and barely getting by. I got a job, I was too young to know the consequences of what I did I was barely thirteen, I couldn’t turn my back on my mother though. I went out every night and brought her home money, telling her I worked at a local market. I lied, for her, and I pushed her to go back to college and complete her dreams.

We had a rough start, and it took three years of struggling for her to complete her degree. It took us another year for her to land a job at a law firm and make our lives better. After that it took her another year to start up her own firm. She married my step father Paul. He was a doctor, and he loves my mother with all of his heart. Their relationship just didn’t work for either them, both of them being caught up in their own jobs.

They split up, but since Paul is the only father figure I ever had I still considered him my father. I had finally told my parents what I had done, and they decided it would be better to move and forget everything. They figured I could start fresh, I had finally started forgetting the past and started having a great life, but everyone still knew. And they still judged me, I tried to ignore it, but moving just made it easier.

I laid in my bed with my covers pulled up to my chin, and forced myself to forget the memories.