Chapter Twenty Two

“VIIIIIIIIINCE!” I yelled as I ran beside him.

            “What did you do?” I frantically yelled as I flung open my cabinet to grab the fire extinguisher.

            I aimed the fire extinguisher at the flames and within seconds the fire was out. I stood in front of my stove staring at the mess left over from the fire. The floor was covered in the foam I had sprayed, and pancake batter. My stove and pans were covered in black, something I didn’t look forward to scrubbing off.

            “How?” I asked unbelievingly.

            Vince stood beside me without moving.”I’m not even sure.”

            “I left you alone for less than five minutes and in that time you somehow managed to catch my kitchen on fire.”

            I shook my head in disbelief and put the fire extinguisher away.

            “I’m sorry.” Vince muttered.

            I sighed and looked down at the mess again. It would take an hour or so to clean the kitchen. That would leave us about an hour or so left to cook something for the picnic.

            “Well we should clean this up, before my mother comes home and freaks out.”

            Vince didn’t roll his eyes, he didn’t give me an attitude, he just grabbed the mop and started cleaning the floor.

            “I will work on cleaning the stove and the wall behind it.” I told him as I grabbed a few sponges.

            “Sounds good.” Vince replied.

            I turned away from Vince and began scrubbing down the stove. It wasn’t easy; my stove was white, much like the rest of the things in my kitchen. Scrubbing away the burn marks wasn’t exactly a walk in the park.

            Vince and I both worked our hardest and finished cleaning the kitchen in an hour or so. The whole time we cleaned Vince had not complained about helping or grumbled about the work he had to do. With both of us working our hardest and putting forth a decent amount of effort we finished and did a nice job, considering we only had an hour.

            The kitchen looked back to normal, and even if you looked closely you still wouldn’t have been able to tell where the fire had been.

            “So what do you want to cook for the picnic?” I asked Vince as I put the cleaners away.

            “I’m guessing pancakes are out of the question?” He asked.

            I turned and gave Vince my, ‘are you kidding me?’ look. Vince didn’t seem surprised by my response and went back to thinking.

            “We could make pumpkin bread.” He suggested.

            I shook my head. “Sure, anything non pancake related sounds good to me.”

            This time Vince rolled his eyes and opened my cupboard. He reached to the top shelf for the bread pan and set it down in front of me.

            “It’s a simple recipe; you should have everything for it.”

            “What do we need for it?” I asked Vince.

            Vince got out his phone and looked up a quick recipe; he then gave me a list of what we needed. He was right; it wasn’t hard to mix the flour, eggs, pumpkin pure, and some cinnamon together.