Chapter Fourteen

I gulped. “Heard what?” I tried playing it stupid hoping he wouldn’t notice.

            “Don’t act stupid, you heard us argue the other day.” He said while crossing his arms.

            I couldn’t fool him, even I knew better than that.

            “What about it Vince?” I asked trying to avoid his eyes.

            “You know there’s a game, you aren’t stupid.”

            “Yes I know there is a game, it involves me, and I don’t like it.” I said while folding my arms looking him dead in the eye now.

            “Good, I can’t tell you what the game is, but you will figure it out. Just do me a favor?”

            He wanted a favor from me? Well that was surprising, even for me.

            “Go on.” I pressed forward.

            “Don’t fall for them, any of them.” He looked me dead in the eye and I could tell he meant every word he said.

            “I know, I was already warned.” Thinking back to last night what Kate had told me.

            “Kate got to you before I did which means she said to stay away from me as well.” He looked rather hurt by his sister’s actions.

            “Yeah.” I sighed. “I still don’t get why though, just tell me Vince.”

            “Look.” He said while rubbing his legs, “I was part of the game, but now I’m not, now I’m on your side, just listen to what I tell you okay?”

            I was shocked, to say Vince was on my side was a big deal, and for him to say it himself was an even bigger deal.

            “Why should I do that? From the sounds of it you played the game as well!” I stated.

            “Look I get you knows that, but I can’t watch them play the game anymore, I love them but this game has gotten out of hand.” He grabbed my hand as he said it.

            All of a sudden I could see his mean features go away and melt into simpler features. Like he needed me to depend on him, I couldn’t deny that I needed help, and he seemed to know everything.

            “If you want to help, then tell me the game Vince.” I stated firmly, still not taking my hand back from his.

            “I can’t, but I can help you figure it out. I want you to find out for yourself and win the game.”

            “Fine.” I said, “But you better be with me not against me.”

            He smiled once more and nodded his head. “Trust me you won’t regret this.”

            I better not; if this came back and slapped me in the face he could expect me to take him down with me.  I just didn’t want to be alone at this point, and if it meant Vince was the one there to help me, then so be it.

            He looked over his shoulder and looked back at the clock. It was nearly three thirty, by this time he had let go of my hand and got up.

            “Good now let’s go to see our first exhibit.” He said while walking towards the exit.

            I was in what seemed to be a very long adventure, because with Vince you never really knew what was going through his mind. So I simply followed him out and got into the car with him. He proceeded to leave the parking lot and started heading even further out of town.