6: Lucas

There was no doubt that Michaela was a wonderful young lady, but it had never occured to me that she was actually the girl born with hope- the chosen one.

"You're Michaela Annabelle Powers?!" I asked her in total awe.

Michaela nodded and bit her lip. She had an odd look in her eye that disagreed with what she was telling me, though. She didn't look like someone who was Discorded, but she did look like the girl born with hope. And it seemed like she was trying to communicate a different message with me, for her hazel eyes were twinkling in a way that I could easily recognize.

I'd seen those eyes before. And her name was so familiar- practically everyone from my world spoke of her. But for some reason, I felt like I should've known her before I reunited with the Dreamscaper Society.

"Michaela Annabelle Powers?" I repeated.

"Yes." She replied softly.

"The strongest Coldscaper to ever set foot on this planet?"

"Yes."

"And you've been in the Society for...how long?"

"One month."

"How did you find this place? I mean, I know that Scapers are the only people who can see it, but who told you about the Society?"

Michaela trembled and gently wiped a tear away with her index finger. "It's a long story, I don't want to waste your time by telling you all the details-"

"No, I want to know. I won't get distracted, I promise. I'm part of the Dreamscaper Society now, remember? You can trust me with your life." I assured Michaela.

Michaela exhaled loudly, closed her eyes, and did not speak to me for another minute or so.

"Fine," she said after a long moment of silence, "but just so you know, this is something I hate talking about. It makes me very uncomfortable to even think about it, so if I start crying, please don't judge me."

"I won't."

Michaela did not look me in the eye when she told me her story, and she spoke with a high but quiet voice when she talked to me. I bit my lower lip, knowing that her story would be unlike the tales of other Scapers who have fled to the Society for various reasons.

"I grew up with a very loving family," she said to me, "and both of my parents were leaders of the Dreamscaper Society before and after I was born. My mother was a Dreamscaper, and my father was a Trucekeeper. They were the best parents I could ever ask for. And we were a very happy family for awhile- that is, until we were separated.

"My mother only got to see me grow up for three months. And then...he killed her. Bill Cipher killed my mother. I was nothing more than an infant at the time, yet I sat there and did nothing but watch her die. I wanted to save her. And I would've done it if I'd known how strong I was.

"After her funeral, my father and I moved to Washington DC so he could work as an agent for the US Government. He was always busy with his work when I was little, and I never always agreed with everything he did, but he was the best dad ever.

"Sadly, he couldn't keep me safe from Bill or the truth forever. We were separated from each other by zombies the night that we arrived in this town, and we never saw each other until an entire month passed by. When I finally did see him again, though...I ran to him and embraced him like there was no tomorrow.

"I was so relieved to finally have him back, and I couldn't wait to tell him about the Dreamscaper Society, or about Tiffany, and Nathan, and Devon, and Stella, and all of the other members of the Society. I couldn't wait to tell him about everything that had occured over the past month. But Bill erased all of his memories of me, and when I embraced him, he just looked at me like I was crazy. It was like I was a stranger to him, and it hurt deeply."

Michaela's story was everything I predicted it would be, plus a lot more. I felt so sorry for her- I knew what it was like to have a dead mother, to have a father who dissed his own child. I knew what it was like to witness these things, and it was horrible.

"I tried to pretend that it didn't hurt, for his sake and for mine, but things like that...sometimes, there's no way you can let them go. You end up holding grudges and keeping secrets for so long that it becomes an obsession, and suddenly, you're just used to the pain. You know what I mean?"

"I know exactly what you mean," I replied, "I may not be you, but I know what it's like to lose a mother. I lost mine when I was thirteen, and my father...well...long story short, he was a jerk."

"You know, I've never met anyone like you, Lucas. You remind me of my father in many ways. You're both kind and heroic...and selfless...and your backstories aren't that different. You even look alike. You have the same eyes as him." Michaela murmured.

My eyes were ocean blue, and I'd never encountered anyone else with my eyes before, except for one girl that I haven't seen in a very long time. Unfortunately, I couldn't remember her name, or anything else about her.

"The Society is like a family to me now. I feel like my peers are really just my brothers and sisters. And you...well, you remind me so much of my father, so...I guess that makes you my dad?" Michaela shrugged.

I smiled. "Yeah, I guess it does. Well, I should probably go to bed before I forget where my bedroom is, so I'll see you tomorrow morning!"

"Sounds good, Lucas."

"Goodnight, my metaphorical daughter."

"Goodnight, 'daddy'." Michaela used air-quotes to say 'daddy', but her tone wasn't as sarcastic as her fingers were.

Then, something peculiar about Michaela caught my eye. Her eyes were going from bright hazel to ocean blue, and the very tips of her hair were starting to look like lily petals. A transparent tattoo of a Poison Ivy leaf was forming on her left arm, and her skin was going sort of pale.

I knew Michaela was a Coldscaper, but what if she had another power that wasn't mentioned in the prophecy? There was no way, in my opinion, that she could be one of them, but something told me otherwise.

"Her surname is Powers," I told myself silently as Michaela walked away. "Only the Powers family is capable of this ability. It may be highly unlikely, but it's a possibility."

Mia-Zoe
CeriseCurse052
MysteryGirl86
iGamerKitty
Mysterygirl367774939
ZabbaWriter
Zabba_Loves_MLP
angeredflowey
OliviaMaePalmer
EZ-Dayz
Duhgaminghamster
musicgirl227
thefabulousbri
dippersuniverse
theshipper101
IndustrialSprinkles