21: Michaela

I invited Nathan to train with me that night, and even though he accepted my offer, he only went through the motions of what he was doing. This wasn't like Nathan at all- he usually put his heart and soul into everything he did. So why was this time any different?

Then it hit me. Today was the first day of mental training. Nathan had probably seen a hallucination of bad things happening to his family, and nothing can upset Nathan more than watching his family suffer.

"Nathan," I said when Nathan and I were throwing fireballs at a target. "We've been throwing fireballs for ten minutes, and the most fire that has hit the target was a couple of sparks! I know you're better than that, so what's the matter?"

Nathan glanced up at me, almost as if he was saying, "Oh, sorry Michaela, I didn't know you were talking to me," and looked back at his feet miserably.

"Nathan, I know something's bothering you. You're usually never this upset." I said to Nathan a little bit louder.

Nathan still didn't answer me.

"Nathan, I'm not going to let this go until you tell me what's wrong." I insisted.

"Okay, okay," Nathan sighed, "when I was training with Phoebe earlier today, I heard something that I never wanted to hear. I didn't know if I was hallucinating or not, but after I took the vaccine, Samantha and Chloe came in and told me that they knew what happened to Molly."

Nathan paused and gulped before continuing, "She was taken by a creature from the Nightmare Realm, and when Bill found her, he tortured her until she couldn't breathe. I had no idea if what I heard was real, but I knew I could never live with myself if it was."

"Nathan, it was just a simulation, your sister is likely to still be out there-" I assured Nathan.

"YOU DON'T KNOW THAT!" Nathan bellowed. I glided backwards a bit in surprise.

"Sorry," Nathan said while rubbing the back of his neck, "it's just been hard for me lately, that's all."

"I feel you, Nate," I softly admitted.

"Has your father remembered who you are yet?" Nathan asked.

"I doubt it," I groaned, "but he did say something today about getting revenge on his dad for separating him from this girl. He didn't even tell me her name."

"No offense, Michaela, but I have to agree with your dad on this one. Your grandfather has taken everything from me- well, apart from my sisters, but Gia took care of them on her own. I'd give anything to take it all back." Nathan confessed.

"No, I'm with you, Nate. I've never met my grandfather before, and until now, I've never known why. But now that I know what he's done to so many innocent people- including my dad -I wish he could just disappear." I responded.

"Michaela?" Nathan asked me.

"Yes, Nathan?" I answered him calmly.

"I'm not exactly sure how to say this," Nathan stammered with a cracking voice, "after all, I don't want to sound like a coward."

"You're not a coward, Nathan," I said, "but go on."

"I'm scared, Michaela."