27: Michaela

The Mystery Shack looked exactly like how I had remembered it- big, brown, and instead of saying "MYSTERY SHACK" on the roof, it said "MYSTERY HACK" in big, bold letters. It was really late at night, so when I knocked on the door, I tried to be as quiet as I possibly could.

I didn't care that the sign on the door said that the Mystery Shack was closed- I could see Caramel inside, and I wasn't leaving until I had some good information from her.

To my surprise and satisfaction, Caramel opened the door and said, "Hello? Are you looking for something to buy? We're closed right now, but I can see if-"

"I'm not looking for anything to buy," I cut her off.

Caramel blinked. "Okay...well, I can't give you anything for free, but-"

"Are you Caramel Hassibor?" I blurted out.

"Um...yeah. But who are you?" Caramel answered.

"My name is Agent Powers," I replied coolly, "and I just need some information from you, so I'll be on my way if you'll just give it to me."

"Agent Powers?" Caramel repeated. "Wait a minute...aren't you supposed to be a boy?"

"I'll explain everything to you if you'll just let me inside, okay?"

Caramel moved out of the way and let me in. We were both standing in the middle of the dark gift shop, so I took off my sunglasses just so I could see her better. I still couldn't get over how similar she looked to Tiffany, though.

"So, um...Agent Powers, right? What's going on?" Caramel asked me.

"Well, to be honest with you, Caramel, I'm not a real agent. I'm just the daughter of an agent. But I need your help. My father's memories are lost, and now he can't even remember me, or my deceased mother, or anybody in my family. There's only one way I can recover his memories, and I know you've seen it before." I explained.

Caramel gasped. "That's terrible, and I wish I could help you, but I'm afraid I don't know what you want from me."

"I need a drive," I stated. "A flash drive to be specific. It contains everything about the case that my father and his partner have been investigating. I know he gave it to you when his memories were missing. Where did you put it?"

"W-wait...your father was Agent Powers? The real one?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"I remember him! He was with a guy named Agent Trigger, too, wasn't he?"

"You got it!"

"Oh my gosh...you're gonna hate me for this..."

"What? What did you do with the drive?"

"I...I fed it to a goat."

"You did what?"

"I fed it to a goat so nobody would find it and try to arrest my friend's great uncle."

I tried to keep myself from crying. I was never going to have my dad back now.

"But I do have a couple extra flash drives that contain the exact same information you're looking for. We kept it hidden just in case we needed it." Caramel added, digging through the pockets of her shorts.

I beamed at her and asked, "You do?"

"Yep! I had one in my pocket, but where did it...ah, yes. There it is. Hopefully, this should work." Caramel handed me a small, black flash drive.

"Caramel...you're a lifesaver! Thank you!" I squealed. I randomly gave her a hug and giggled a little. Caramel smiled back at me.

Then I let go of her and said, "I promise, if my dad remembers your friend's great uncle, I won't let him arrest him. But I don't think he'll want to, now that he-" I caught myself before I could tell Caramel what my dad was capable of.

"Sound good...Agent Powers? Sorry, I didn't know if you still wanted me to call you that." Caramel shrugged.

"That's fine, but you can call me Michaela, if you want to." I said.

"Michaela Powers...I like that."

"Thanks, Mel."

Caramel snickered a bit before she opened the door for me and said, "Good luck recovering your dad's memories, Michaela."

"Thanks. And good luck with Tiffany." I replied.

"Tiffany?" Caramel repeated.

Whoops. I probably shouldn't have said that. Oh well. Some things are just meant to slip out, I guess.

"Goodbye, Caramel."

I kept walking until I was so deep in the forest that Caramel couldn't see me. Then, I looked around me to see if the coast was clear, and teleported back to the Australian Dreamscaper Society.

x•x•x•x•x•x•x•x•x•x•x•x•x

"MICHAELA POWERS, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!" Samantha barked when I arrived back at the Society.

"I...I...I just had to get some fresh air, that's all, Captain Anesworth." I replied with a meek voice.

"Well, I'm just glad you made it back here safely. Not to mention, your boyfriend has been looking for you." Samantha said, pointing to Nathan, who had an apologetic smile on his face.

"My boyfriend?" I repeated.

"You two are still together, right?" Samantha inquired.

I had to think about how I was going to answer that for a minute or two. Was I willing to forgive Nathan yet? And if I was, would he still accept me?

"I...I..."

Nathan and Samantha both waited for my answer, but Nathan seemed more concerned about what I was going to say than Samantha seemed.

"I can't think right now, I have to rest. I'll see you two in the morning!" I stammered.

I had to make up my mind eventually, but I couldn't do it right now. Today was a big day, and tomorrow would be an even bigger day if I got the chance to show my dad his memories. Even though my bed wasn't the most comfortable object in the world, I needed to lay down on it and rest.

"I'll have him back tomorrow," I silently vowed, "and this nightmare will finally be over for good."

iGamerKitty
Mia-Zoe
MysteryGirl86
Mysterygirl367774939
reign4232
CeriseCurse052
EZ-Dayz
Duhgaminghamster
ZabbaWriter
Zabba_Loves_MLP
musicgirl227
HamsterAndZabba
angereddipper
dippersuniverse
2kittysdude
Femdip_Pinetree
IndustrialSprinkles
briandbooks
primrose-eaton