ch.2

I scanned the lot of us. It seemed like ages ago when it was just me and Harry. Now, we've got five Styles' and another on the way. Even more unbelievable, Harry hit 30 last year and I'm not far off. I'm not afraid of aging per sei. If anything, Harry looks better with age, like fine, rugged  wine.

It's just that Darcy is about as close to 17 as I am. I was 17 when Harry and I secretly started seeing each other...  

I glanced at Darcy as she sat in Harry's lap and he kissed her head. She always acted so grown up but that didn't mean she was more mature than any other 7 year old. In ten short years, she'll be 17 and that makes me- and especially Harry- want to jump off the highest tower that Danny has been helping design. 

Nonna always warns me about blinking. "If you blink, you'll miss the sunset, you'll miss your children growing up while you grow old."

She's right.

Harry and I already have three lively children and a fourth on the way. Danny and Gemma have children and Tony and Becky are well on their way. Just a moment ago, Harry and I were sneaking off to share a kiss, now we couldn't sneak off to our room without having to refill someone's milk and cookies or to read a bedtime story.

I love every minute of being with our children but it keeps changing, keeps passing. You  blink and Darcy doesn't fit her dresses anymore. JD and Des's heads are higher than my waist and I find a grey hair on my head. (I haven't found any yet but it's just a matter of time...)

Harry scooped Darcy in his arms and carried her. JD reached his arms out, waiting for me to carry him. I picked him up and lent a hand for Des to hold on to. Des never liked being carried. Not even when he was a baby.

I held my hand out to him but he shook his head.

"I can carry you, momma" Des smiled proudly. He wrapped his arms around my waist and tried to lift me up the way Harry had lifted Darcy.

"That's ok, Dessy" I laughed lightly. 

Des sighed loudly. 

"Take your mother's hand, Desmond" Harry hissed.

Des took my hand but the moment Harry turned to face forward, Des stuck his tongue out at him.

I shook my head and laughed lightly.

We all walked back to the car. (Yes, Harry sold the truck for a bigger car, something to fit all the children he kept impregnating me with).

JD leaned his head against my shoulder and closed his eyes.

Des bobbed his head left and right and walked with his shoulders squared, the way Harry did. Harry smoothed his fingers through his hair, pushing his curls back. Des copied him.

I shook my head and smiled. For two people who constantly were at ends, Des and Harry were unbelievably similar. 

Harry drove us to Danny and Gemma's. 

"Uncle Danny!" Des cheered when Danny opened the door. 

"Dessy!" Danny grinned.

Des punched Danny's chest like a mini boxer while Danny ruffled his hair.

Danny kissed me and Darcy's cheeks and patted JD's head.

"Uncle Danny, will you play football with me?" Des asked hopefully.

"Football!?" Danny gasped. 

Des nodded eagerly.

"But the ball is bigger than you" Danny teased.