ch.12 Daddy

I shook my head.

"I'm sorry" the doctor apologized.

"NO!" I screamed.

"Angie" Danny mumbled.

"NO! NO! NO!" I screamed. I ran to Nonna and reached for her hand, but she jerked away, staring at me as if I were a stranger.

"ANGELA!" Danny shouted.

I stood still.

"Angie" Danny sighed. He patted my belly gently. "You have a baby. Protect the baby" he reminded me.

I nodded quietly. Danny led me back to the couch and helped me sit down. The doctor tended to Nonna and left when she fell asleep. I watched him as he left, glaring as if it were his fault that my grandmother was ill. He mouthed "sorry" and closed the door.

I huddled into a ball but it was hard because my stomach was so incredibly round. My baby was coming any day one. Any day. But Nonna was ill and Harry was away...

A few tears rolled down my cheeks without me realizing.

"We have to cure her" I told Danny.

Danny rubbed the small of my back.

"Ok, Angie" he nodded, but he was lying. He knew that after God knows how long, Nonna would completely lose herself and-and God would take her to his kingdom.

"She can't leave us, Danny. She just got here" I reasoned. It was true, Nonna has only been with us for seven years. She didn't see me and Danny when we were kids so she had to be there to see our children grow up. She had to. She just had to.

"Nonna's gonna be alright, Angie. She's always alright" Danny reminded me. 

I nodded quickly. He was right. This was Nonna we were talking about, the woman who told me I was having a Darcy, and who told Harry to get a hair cut, and who always tried to fatten me up whenever she could-- even though I had plenty of meat to me.

I glanced at Nonna in her bed. She lay there, resting, recovering from her mini flashback. Maybe in the morning, she'd be good as new and the doctor's early diagnosis would be faulty. I mean she's an older woman, she's forgetful and emotional. 

"I want Harry to come home" I told Danny.

Danny wiped a stray tear from my cheek.

"He'll be home for the baby" he nodded.

I took a deep breath. Danny drove me back home. 

***

Over the next few days, Nonna was better. She didn't have any relapses and I was certain that it had just been a one time deal. Afterall, plenty of people smoked back regularly back in the day. And there was no exact cause of Alzheimers. She must have been frustrated about the heart attack and her emotions got the best of her.

I picked up the kids from the bus stop and they huddle around me eagerly. J.D. ran the slowest but he held on the tightest, making sure to kiss the baby 'hello,' too. Darcy 's head reached close to my chest. Des jumped on his tipey toes and tried to kiss my cheek. I hugged and kissed each of them. If it was scientifically possible, I would say that they all have grown incredibly in the past few days. 

"Momma, momma, momma!" Des cheered.

"Hi, baby" I grinned.

"Momma I got a 'B' on my math test, look!' Des cheered.

"No one cares about your stupid grades" Darcy spat.

"Darcy" I raised a brow."We don't use that word in our house" I reminded her.