ch.13 Soon

I looked down in to Darcy's eyes. She stroked my cheek very gently as she eagerly awaited my answer.

"Soon, honey, soon" I told her.

She sighed loudly.

"But I miss him, momma" she whispered softly. Her throat tightened and I was afraid a few tears would stream down, which would make me cry and then the boys would be worried.

"Baby, he's only been away for one week" I reminded her gently. I rubbed the small of her back and she rested her head against my shoulder. 

Though Harry has only been at his Police camp for a week, I realized that Darcy and Harry have been inseparable since she was conceived. He was even protective of my belly when she was just a little fetus.

Darcy huddled close to my chest and nodded softly.

"How about I call daddy?" I asked her.

Darcy jumped up. Her eyes widened as a warmth emitted from her cheeks.

"Yes" she nodded hurriedly. 

I kissed her cheeks and reached for the phone.

"Hello?" Harry answered.

"Hi Harry" I smiled.

Darcy blinked in confusion. "His name is 'Daddy,' momma" she whispered loudly.

"Hi daddy" I corrected myself.

Harry laughed lightly.

"Hi momma" he played along. "How are my angels?"

"Cute as buttons" I nodded.

"And the boys?"

I laughed lightly as I recalled Des copying Harry's walk and the way he ruffled his curls.

"Just like daddy" I smiled.

Harry chuckled.

"Momma" Darcy hissed as she open and closed her fists, eager to hold the phone. 

"Ok" I mouthed to her.

"Angie it's incredible here. I wish I had singed up earlier, like back when I was 13, that way, I would have been able to get away with half the crap I pulled in high school" he joked.

I shook my head.

"But I'll come home if you need me. If our baby comes tonight, I'll get a helicopter and fly down before your water breaks" he offered.

I smiled.

"Harry, she's not coming tonight. She's fine. Don't worry" I patted my stomach gently. "And even if she does come tonight, Danny or the other boys can take me" I reminded him.

Harry sighed loudly.

He hasn't missed a moment of our children's lives and yet this past week has been as exciting as it has been torture for him. He's so passionate about me and his babies and his work that it gets to the point where he takes on more than he can handle. He still wants to stuff Darcy in bubble wrap for the rest of her life and he may have always wanted to walk me to the bathroom and to hold my hand as I bought groceries-- just to make sure that no one hurt me in the process. But he can't possibly protect any of us from everything. And sooner he realizes that, the sooner he can stop those tiny wrinkle lines from forming prematurely on his face.

Darcy sighed very loudly, trying to get my attention.

"Listen, daddy, your baby angel princess would like to talk to you" I told him.

"Aw I missed my baby girl" I whispered softly. 

Darcy held her breath as she fidgeted in her seat.