ch.16 Halfway gone

Gemma nodded plainly.

I stared at her. But why was I staring? Why did her mentioning Niall make me a bit uneasy?

Was it because I felt guilty that I hadn’t helped him resolve his issues with Emily? Was it because he expected me to do something else for him? Or, was it something completely different?

“When was the last time you saw Niall?” I asked slowly. I hadn’t seen or heard of Niall in weeks. It almost seemed like he had abandoned us all. And, the worst part was that none of us had actively tried to contact him.

Gemma looked down at Marco. Marco smiled up at her sweetly.

“Well, like I said, he called just last night” Gemma replied carefully.

I nodded.

“And he had spoken to Harry right before?”

“Yeah”

My chest clenched. Harry wouldn’t tell Niall about us. Would he? I mean Harry and I are very private about what we do and don’t do. It’s obvious that we were (or at least used to be very active) since we conceived three children after two years of marriage, but still. If harry was extremely sexually frustrated, maybe he’d talk it out to try to calm himself down.

But what would he say? Does Niall know about our phone ‘conversation’ last night?

Gemma watched my face curiously.

"I miss Uncle Hally" Marco mumbled softly.

Gemma kissed his cheek.

"It's ok, baby. Uncle Hally's coming home real soon" she reassured him. 

Marco looked up into her eyes and held her face.

"You pawmis?" 

"I pawmis" Gemma smiled.

Marco ducked his head against her chest and sucked on his thumb. Gemma rocked back and forth slowly, lulling Marco to sleep. Then she turned her attention to me.

“Why would it matter what Harry told Niall?” she asked me slowly.

I avoided her eyes.

"Angie?" Gemma’s lips curled into a grin, the same grin Harry did.

I rubbed my belly quickly.

"You better have something planned for him when he comes home" she whispered.

"Make him a cake" Marco suggested.

"Yes, something sweet" Gemma winked.

I cleared my throat. We were all quiet for a moment. Gemma watched me persistently, as if trying to pull another secret out of my mouth.

"Niall's ok, then right?" I changed the subject.

Gemma blinked.

"Yes, of course" she nodded. "But he did sound a bit frustrated, maybe even angry" she admitted quietly.

"Did he say who he was angry at?" I mumbled quickly. What if he's angry at me?

Gemma shook her head.

"I don't think he was angry at a specific person. If anything, he seemed down on himself" she explained.

I took a deep breath.

"It's all my fault" I sighed.

"What? No--"

"Yes, yes it is. I should have helped him with Emily. I should have talked to her myself--"