ch.27 I've got a gun

Everyone turned to see Niall at the doorway, leaning against it with his good shoulder. The other side of his shoulder was plastered with adhesives and bandages that practically glued his entire arm to his chest.

"How's the baby?" he asked quietly.

Everyone glanced to me.

"She's fine," Harry answered.

I swallowed hard. Harry walked over and delicately handed Farah to me. Everyone continued to stare from Harry to Niall. They had no idea what had really happened, but they knew it had to do something with me. It always had something to do with me.

"H-how's your shoulder?" I spoke up.

"Fine."

The silence thickened like a poisonous fog. Becky stood up abruptly.

"Tony, could you buy me a bag of chips?" she ordered, not asked.

"you just had a bag" Tony reminded her softly.

Becky glared at him. He nodded. She took his hand and they walked out.

"I'll go see if they have any complimentary hair gel" Zayn mumbled. He took Yaz's hand and they half ran out the room.

"Danny, I'm pretty sure the kids are all hungry, let's get them something at the cafeteria" Gemma smiled weakly. 

Danny scooped up Des and Sephora and J.D. trailed behind. Gemma held Marco and they all filed out.

I stared at the remaining people: me, Harry, Niall, and Farah.

Farah looked up at me only the way a baby would look at her mother. Her eyes watched mine and she searched closely, trying to memorize the streaks of orange amongst the specs of brown in my eyes. They were the same streaks and specs in her eyes. And they brought out the hints of gold in her skin.

I kissed her nose. She closed her eyes gently, waiting for more kisses to send her into the lull of sleep.

Niall took a step toward Harry. Harry glared at him quietly, like he regretted hurting him, but was poised to do it again if it became neccessary.

"God blessed you with a beautiful family. I'm sorry I forced myself inside it" Niall whispered loudly.

His words rang in my ears for a moment. I held Farah more tightly in my arms, as if trying to more actively treasure the blessing I've been given.

Harry swallowed hard and looked to me and Faraha.

"He has" he nodded firmly.

Niall glanced at Farah and his eyes met hers. He gasped quietly.

"She-she looks just like you, Angie" he murmured. 

I nodded carefully.

Harry walked over to my bedside and leaned closer to me, like a papa bear protecting his pack. Why did he always have to protect his pack? Why couldn't he just take a deep breath and trust that we could defend ourselves once in a while? Because we can't.

Niall turned to Harry expectantly. He didn't want an apology, if anything, he just wanted to be forgiven. Harry just stared at his shoulder.

After a daunting minute of silence, Niall sighed and turned for the door.

Harry closed it the minute he left.

"Harry--" I spoke up.

"Angie, I don't care what you say, I'm not gonna forgive him. I don't want him near my family ever again!"