ch.32 You too, Hally

Lux began crying in Harry's shoulder. He rubbed her back gently, hoping to calm her and himself down as well. But it wasn't working.

"I thought I'd never see you again," he admitted softly. His voice cracked.

"Mean either," she gasped.

"You've grown up so much, Luxy," he shook his head in disbelief.

Lux laughed and cried in the same breath.

"You've still got your leather jacket," she commented softly, patting at Harry's jacket pocket.

A tear rolled down Harry's cheek. He held Lux's face in his shaking hands and looked down at her eyes. 

"Beautiful," he gasped.

A heavy tear rolled down Lux's cheek, glazing her porcelain skin. All the pent up frustration from the past few hours, days even, suddenly dispersped. Harry wasn't a horny cheater (he was horny, but not a cheater). He wasn't hitting on a young woman right in front of me and his children. He knew Lux, baby Lux. Gosh, she's grown up so fast.

Lux turned to me. She reached her arms out and hugged me as gently as she had hugged Harry.

"I knew you two would get married. I knew it," she admitted with a tearful smile.

I patted her back.

"I told you you're a thousand times more beautiful than I could ever dream of being," I shook my head, recalling the time when Lux asked me to make her beautiful.

Lux laughed. I rubbed her back. She was about my height. Last I'd seen her, she barely cleared my waist.

"And four babies?" Lux gasped. "Gosh, you two work fast," she teased.

Harry laughed casually. I laughed more curtly. He's not the one who had to be pregnant for 27 months of his life...

"They're all so bright and beautiful" Lux smiled, wiping a tear from her cheek.

Des winked at her. She laughed. "And that little boy" she whispered to me, while looking at Des. "He's a charmer, just like Hally" she shook her head. I laughed.

"They all have his poisonous blood, all of them except J.D. and Farah" I smiled proudly. My half of the family was very civilized and calm. 

"You look like an older Darcy. Except wayyyyy prettier" Des commented with another wink.

Lux laughed. She leaned down and kissed Darcy's head.

Harry swallowed hard. It seemed as though he knew something else about Lux, something that he wasn't sure of, but was too scared to ask.

J.D. smiled shyly at Lux when she kissed his head. Des pouted his lips, hoping to get a kiss himself. Lux leaned down and was about to kiss his cheek, when he turned his head and got lip minor action.

Lux gasped in shock.

"I kissed a woman. Darcy only kissed a boy. I win!" he cheered.

Darcy glared at him.

After Darcy's tutoring, Harry and Lux sat down in the living room and exchanged stories about the days when he was a volunteer chef and designated playboy...as in a boy that played with the little kids.

Harry's fists tightened up. Lux and the other kids all had some sort of disorder or problem and I knew he was too scared to ask if Lux was still suffering. I don't think he ever told me what she had...

"How-how are you, Luxy?" he asked with wide, slightly moist eyes. 

"I beat the cancer" she smiled.