ch.49 Full house

In case you were wondering, Harry did use a condom last night. And thank goodness I happened to take a pill the day before. There's no way we can have another child this late in the game.

"Mom, you ok?" I heard some noises in you and dad's room," J.D. asked innocently. He genuinely thought we had hurt ourselves or something. My cheeks burned. J.D. rubbed his bed head and adjusted his glasses.

"Yeah, I'm fine" I laughed stiffly. 

J.D. nodded. He looked down at my ring and smiled.

"As long as you guys weren't hitting each other or anything, it's all good," J.D. smiled weakly.

I stared at his eyes, but the glare of his glasses blinded me momentarily. 

"Your father would never, ever hit me. And I would never hit him," I told J.D. honestly. 

"That's good," he smiled. Then he glanced at Darcy uneasily. He knew about the bruises.

J.D. was about to turn away and head down stairs for breakfast when he gently reached for my wrist.

"Mom, do you think Candy will ever go out with me?"

I took J.D.'s face in my hands and smiled.

"She would be insane if she wasn't already in love with you."

J.D.'s cheeks warmed to a rosy red. I kissed his cheeks. His smile disappeared. 

"But she isn't. She can't love me. I'm not tough enough. I don't have Des' muscles or his charisma or anything," he mumbled shyly, looking down at his hands. There were ink stains from his pens on his palm.

"Honey, you don't need to be like anyone else except your self. If Candy truly loves you, it's because she loves who you are, not who you could be," I told him.

I swallowed hard. Kids are cruel, especially in high school. What if Candy was only using J.D. to get to Des? Or maybe she was just plain having fun toying with a sophomore boy's heart...

"Ok,"J.D. nodded more confidently. I ruffled his hair.  

Farah ran downstairs with her night gown. Des scooped her up and tickled her mercilessly until she kissed his cheek.

"Stop it, Dessy!" she begged. 

Des laughed.

"I need a kiss, first," he grinned.

Farah gave in and kissed Des' cheeks. Des carried her downstairs. J.D. scooped her from Des' arms and kissed her as well. They were so good to her, but they were spoiling her quite a bit. It's a shame, but when Farah grows up, boys won't treat her as preciously as her beloved brothers do. That's just not how the real world works.

Over breakfast, I kept nodding at Darcy, hoping she would tell Harry about Brock. But she shook her head fearfully. 

"Not now," she mouthed.

"Yes, now," I mouthed back.

She took a deep breath. Harry leaned close and kissed me randomly. The kids turned away uncomfortably. Des stared at his food. J.D. sighed loudly, resting his head in his palm, no doubt thinking about Candy. Farah giggled, watching Harry and I as though we were fairytale characters.

"Daddy, are you happy this morning?" Darcy asked randomly. Harry kissed my cheek, then he turned to Darcy.

"Of course," Harry grinned. He winked at me.

"Good," Darcy nodded. She wanted Harry to be in the best possible mood before she told him the worst news a father would ever want to hear.

"I just have a question about the law," she explained casually.