ch.7 Warning

The next morning, Harry and I got the kids ready for school. We had a simple routine: I woke up first and prepared the meals while Harry had to drag the kids out of bed and get them into their school clothes. But everyday, something ruined the flow of our 'simple's routine and it came in the form of a little boy with a mop of dark curls and charming green eyes: Des.

"I'm sleepy" Des complained.

"It's time for school" Harry told him sternly.

"Well I don't wanna go" Des hissed.

Harry grabbed the covers, yanked them down and scooped Des up. He carried him over his shoulder, put him in the bathroom and handed him his toothbrush. 

"You have five minutes" Harry warned him.

Des grumbled under his breath and washed up. Darcy was already awake. She usually got up first and helped me prepare breakfast. J.D. got up slowly and waited for Des before using the bathroom.

"Dad, the book fair is tonight. Will you be here by 6?" J.D. asked softly. 

"Of course" Harry nodded.

"But my gymnastics semi-finals are tonight" Darcy reminded him with a tug of his wrist.

Harry looked from J.D. to Darcy and flustered a moment. He had a clear favoritism toward Darcy but he didn't show it on purpose. And J.D. never asked for anything and reading and writing were two things very close to me and Harry's hearts, especially Harry's since his father never supported his hobby.

"I'll go to your book fair for an hour, then I'll go to the make it for the second half of Darcy's show" Harry compromised.

J.D. nodded happily. Darcy glared at him.

"But you'll miss the opening. I get to dance in the front, daddy" Darcy whispered.

Harry held his breath, unsure how to make it up to Darcy.

"You suck at dancing" Des hissed at Darcy.

"No I don't" Darcy spat.

"Des" Harry spoke up. 

Des quieted down.

"I've been to your rehersals and you're absolutely amazing, baby" Harry smiled comfortingly at Darcy. He took her in arms and held her in his lap. "Plus, your mommy will film it all so I won't miss a thing" Harry reminded her as he took a strand of her hair and moved it from her eyes.

Darcy nodded slowly. She was still making that 'sad puppy dog' face so Harry was clearly still churning with guilt.

"Dad, it's ok. You don't have to come to the book fair" J.D. spoke up.

"No, J.D., I really wanna see the fair. Your story was brilliant and if it wins first prize, I'll  take you out for ice cream" Harry smiled warmly.

J.D.'s eyes glinted. Darcy mumbled under her breath.

"Darcy, your father is doing his best to go to all your activities. It's just very difficult with the three of you" I tried to explain. I didn't want any one of them to feel left out or under appreciated in comparison to the others.

Darcy nodded and her gaze fell to my stomach. Harry reached close and patted my belly gently. 

"What about the baby? Will you guys forget about us when it comes along?" Darcy raised a brow.

Harry and I were quiet a moment.

"Of course not, Darcy" Harry shook his head slowly.

"We'll have to be very careful with the new baby but we most certainly won't forget any of you" I told her confidently.