Chapter 4:

Killian POV:

I didn't think I'd ever been so nervous. Tonight was the night, I was taking Emma out. I told her I'd be picking her up at seven and we would go to Tony's from there.

It took me forever to get my hair right, even longer to find something good enough to wear. I wondered if she was doing the same thing, probably not. She clearly didn't see this as a romantic evening. I hoped to change her mind about that.

I took a deep breath and looked in the mirror. I was satisfied and walked out the front door.

The weather was warm enough that we could walk, if it got colder she could just borrow my coat. On a whim, I stopped at the flower shop that happened to be on the way to her place. I picked a single red rose to give to her.

I continued on my way after paying for the flower and pushed the button so that she could let me into the building.

What I wasn't prepared for was what I saw when she opened the door. She donned a lovely pale pink dress with her locks curled and cascading over her shoulders. I hadn't seen her outside of work purposes, but now she was absolutely stunning.

"You look beautiful." I managed to say, holding out the rose to her.

"Killian..." She said, eyeing the flower.

"Don't worry, love. Strictly professional, right?" I inquired.

"Right." She said, accepting the flower and going to put it in a vase.

"Okay. Let's get going then." She added, closing and locking her front door.

Emma POV:

Why did he have to make this so difficult? He had to go and compliment me and stare at me like I hung the moon, then give me a rose. I just had to hold it together. There was no denying that he was a gorgeous man, but I couldn't emotionally invest myself in him.

He offered his arm to me once we were outside, and I hesitated before taking it, telling myself he was just being a gentleman. We walked our way to the restaurant.

He pulled out my chair for me when we were escorted to our table, and I smiled in thanks. He said across from me.

"How about that drink, then?" He asked me. He remembered.

"Why not?" I answered. "I don't have to work tomorrow and I could stand to wind down."

"Aye, agreed." He said with a smirk.

The rest of the meal went on without incident. No more advances from him, although we were both a bit tipsy from the wine.

By the time we left, I was regretting wearing a dress like this, it was cold outside. I did my best not to show it.

"Are you cold, love?" Killian asked me in a concerned tone.

"I'm fine." I forced a smile.

"Here." He shrugged off his leather jacket. "I have long sleeves on, I'll be fine."

"No, you don't have to do that, Killian. It's a short walk home." I insisted.

"Please. A true gentleman wouldn't let a lady such as yourself be cold." He plead.

"Okay. Thank you."

He held out the coat so I could put my arms through the sleeves. For a brief second, his fingertips touched the bare skin over my collarbone.

We both pretended not to notice and simply chatted idly until we reached my front door.

"Thank you, Killian. I needed a night out and away from work." I said, hoping to convince the both of us that this would be where we parted ways. The wine wasn't helping.