Chapter 32:

Killian POV:

Emma answered the door to the face of a man I hadn't seen in years. I could tell it was just him, only years older.

"Neal." She bluntly greeted and turned around to walk inside.

"Thanks for giving me a chance." He carefully said, then he looked at me and smiled a little. "Hey, Killian."

"Neal." I nodded his way and stuck out a hand. "How have you been?"

"Not that great, but I'm sure Emma told you that." Neal answered.

"Aye, she did indeed. Let's get this underway, shall we?"

Everyone say at the nearby dining table and Neal set a file folder he had brought in with him.

"There they are. MRI results, treatment options, everything." He said. Emma picked up the folder and began rifling through everything. If I knew her, she was memorizing that doctor's name to call him tomorrow just in case.

"Why didn't you get any treatment?" She asked him.

"I know what it does to you. It makes you weak and ill. If it's as bad as they say, why would I put myself through that for a slim chance to live? I'd rather spend what's left of my life enjoying it, not bed ridden." He answered confidently.

She continued to eye the folder while I sat there a bit uncomfortably. When she was finally down, she put it all back and crossed her arms, leaning back into her chair.

"Alright. You can see Henry. But don't you dare keep anything from him. Whatever he asks you, you answer."

"Understood." Neal nodded.

"And only if one of us is with you." She gestured between me and herself. I felt both surprised and honored that she would trust me with her son like that.

"I just want to see him, Emma." I could tell Neal was being sincere.

"Nothing will happen to the boy, I assure you." I took Emma's hand. She eyed Neal suspiciously.

"Henry is seven years old, he's already been in the foster system his entire life. The second you slip up with him, that's it." She warned.

"I get it, I do. But he just needs to know he has a dad that wants him."

"Fine. Text me in the morning, Henry can stay home from school for one day, after that you'll have to wait until after school or on the weekend." She leveled with him.

"Thank you, I know this can't be easy for you. Whatever Henry wants to know, I'll tell him. And I'll be the best dad I can for however long I have left."

I carefully watched Emma. She was tense, too tense. I could tell she was holding it together until he left, and I had no idea how she would fall apart once we were alone.

Neal shook my hand and smiled at Emma one more time before making his way out. As soon as the door shut, it happened.

Emma stood up and practically kicked her chair back as she crossed her arms and stalked into the living room.

"Emma?" I carefully approached her, not knowing how she would react to what just happened.

When she stopped pacing, I thought it would be safe to touch her. The moment I did she turned around and stared right at me. What I saw in her eyes was frightening, even when I had come close to bringing a hand down on her she didn't have this look on her face. I saw frustration, agony, fear, disbelief, and many more. It was a dangerous combination.

I set my hands gently on her arms and moved them up and down, trying to soothe her. Then she leaned into me and wrapped her arms around my torso. The tears had started to fall.