Chapter 40:

Killian POV:

I asked the nurse to keep me updated as much as she could and found the nearest chair. About half an hour after I arrived, Henry was brought in by an officer.

"He's just fine. No injuries, they took blood to test for drugs but he shows no signs." He informed me with a smile.

"Thank you." I said, welcoming Henry to sit next to me.

The officer nodded and left.

"Is my mom going to be okay?" He timidly asked.

"I told the nurse to tell me everything she knows." I said, evading the truth that I didn't know.

"Why did he do that? He told me he was picking me up for a few days because you and my mom had an emergency. Why did he hurt my mom?" He asked me.

"Henry, there are bad people out there. Do you know what selfish means?" I said.

"That someone only cares about themselves." Henry answered.

"That's right. When your father died, he wanted everything he owned to be yours someday. Your mother and I intended to keep everything safe for you. But Mr. Gold thought that since he was Neal's father, he should have all of it."

"I would have let him if he had just asked."

I smiled, Henry was always so innocent.

"You see Henry, Mr. Gold left his son. Not like your mother. She didn't keep you because she didn't think she could take care of you. Mr. Gold didn't want your father at all, so he left him one day. That's why everything your father had, will be yours."

"Why is he like that?"

"Some people are just bad. They do bad things and don't think there's anything wrong with it."

I hated having to explain this to him. No boy his age should have had to deal with it.

Not long after that, he fell asleep, his head on my shoulder. I pulled out my phone and dialed Regina's number.

"Hello?" A sleepy voice answered. It was an ungodly hour.

"I wouldn't ask if it weren't necessary. We're at the hospital and I need you to pick Henry up, please." I asked her.

"What's wrong? Who's hurt?" She demanded of me.

"I'll explain everything when you get here. But Henry needs to sleep in a bed, not a chair in the hospital."

"Right." She said. "I'll be there soon."

"We're in the emergency waiting room." I said before we hung up.

When Regina walked into the hospital, she was clearly baffled. She was wearing sweat pants and a shirt, odd for me because I had almost never seen her outside of a pants suit or dress.

"What's going on?" She asked me.

"Neal's dad went crazy and kidnapped Henry after he found out about him. After we reported it to the police, we went looking for Henry. We tracked him down to a house not far from here and the old mad man shot Emma." I solemnly said. Her eyes went wide.

"Where is she? Is she okay?" She frantically asked.

"I don't know. It hit her in her shoulder." I said. I wanted to cry right there, but I held it together for Henry.

"I'll keep him for the night, but you have to call me when you know if she's okay. I don't care what time it is." She said.

I nodded and nudged Henry.